What type of gloves?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Stammer, Dec 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

those are great for handling live rock ... but they are no help when fragging. you will have zero dexterity with them.

I wear nitrile gloves when in the tank. They are tight enough that they don't fill with water.

Make sure you get the ones without the powder ... its no good for your tank.

And wear safety glasses dear god ... I was using a scalpal cutting through a zoa while fragging and it shot fluid right into my eye. I spent the next 2 days in the hospital on an iv throwing up my intestines with an illness that felt like was going to claim my life lol

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

I actually read a story on Reefcentral a few years back about a guy who fragged a dozen or so zoanthid colonies. After he was done acclimating them back into his tank ... he left the bowl of water out that the freshly cut zoanthids were in.

When he came back he noticed his dog licking the bowl ... the dog dies 24 hours after that ...

so be careful, palytoxin is incredibly dangerous stuff, there are a lot of articles on the subject online if you're interested.

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

LoJack, that's sad and scary!!! Did the toxin affect you long term?

5. Toxicc

Toxicc Astrea Snail

oh no that dog prob suffered terribly...

whats the best way to rid the water? running water while pouring it down the drain?
    should you designate it as "frag only bowl'? or would it be safe after a good cleaning?

6. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I'm not sure but I would have a designated frag bowl personally.