Unresolved What type of fish is this?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Pelado, Jan 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

I caught this fish in Spain/meditaranian ocean and he is doing great in my new 110g. But what the heck is it? I think I might have to catch him and release him back into the ocean.
    But if anyone knows, comments are mostly appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

not sure but it looks like a wrasse

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Looks like a wrasse. Probably a good idea to release back to the wild if you don't know hwat the law allows and can not identify the species and it's needs.

5. Pelado

I agree.... will release him again, although he's loving the aquarium.... But it's better that way, since I have to travel next week for business and won't be back until the 3rd of Feb. At that point I want to get some green Chromis to start the tank... can't wait... after all it's been cycling for over 5 weeks now and all water parameters are perfect :)

6. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I was thinking a coldwater wrasse such as Rock Cook , but since it is from the Meditereanean (sorry can't spell) I would have to say a wrasse of some sort. If you are in Spain, check local maratime collection laws if you want to keep it.

8. Click Here!

9. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

google kutieri wrasse. It's a leopard wrasse that has a black spot on its tail and comes in a variety of colors. If that is what it is, it would be better to return it to the ocean as they are very difficult to care for. They do not take quickly to frozen food.

10. Pelado

Just figured it out... it's Corkwing Wrasse which is quite common here.... but he can grow quite large... doing great in the aquarium btw. but I will catch him and release him again... who knows about reef-compatibility, huh?! At least he's starting my cycle... :)

11. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

he's cool:cry: