What type of clam can I keep???? If any??

Discussion in 'Clams' started by baugherb, Apr 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

No baugherb' i think you need a larger tank to consider being successful in "the long run" with clams or other corals.
    Read the post and article (above) i did on tank sizes if you will.

I don't blame you but your intrest's have grown to larger light and size requirements.
    I'd rather see you spend your money on the clam and see it thrive, rather than see it die. ( and we all know this stuff can be costly )

But with that said you must try it in that nano to confirm my hypothesis/experiance.
    ( I didint say it could'int be done, I'm simply saying your "wants" are over riding some tank inhabitants NEED to thrive long term )

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I'm having a bad day... Sorry to sound like a jerk. I get what your saying.... Maybe its a case of nanopolian's complex or something... The biggest I want to go is a 20 gallon long with about 150 watt mh over it. Until then I'll keep cramming my 5.5 gal full... Thanks for everyones help....

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Clams remove Nitrate?? Why did i not know this earlier! I would have got one of them instead of a fuge!! :(

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I want to find one that will do my water changes for me....

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

LOL That funny LOL:laugh5::yelrotflm:trampolin:trampolin:laugh5::yelrotflm:LolLolLol:LolLolLol:LolLolLol:laughy::laughy::laughy::laughy::clapping::clapping::clapping:

8. Click Here!

9. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

I have (1) in my main display a "tear drop maxima"
    and i have sevral in my fuge (different type of clam that needs no light to thrive, they only are there for nitrate reduction )
    I have (29) , get me on yahoo yall guys i'll show ya..and we'll all do voice confrence' more easaly said than typed.
    my yahoo name is over on the left <<<<<<
    """Y"""

10. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

A buddy of mine designed a system for his 210g that does 30g water changes for him on a weekly timer, I keep telling him I want a writeup and pics on exactly how it works, He's shown it to me but it's pretty overly complicated

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Sounds interesting!!!! I was refering to a clam that would do water changes for me... LOL!!!!! Thanks for the info though!!!!!

12. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

I have a crocea that I have had since September 2006. It has been in a 40G w/ 4X96W PC's, a 24G aquapod w/ 150W MH and now in a 75G w/ 440W of PC's. All times placed at the bottom. I use the Bi-Onic 2 part to dose and that keeps my calcium at 400 at all times and I only dose after my monthly water changes. My brother-in-law has 1 in his 24G nano, also for 2 years with 0 nitrates. It has clearly grown. It is on a shelf in the middle part of the tank w/ 150W MH. IMO, you can not only have a clam (or 2) but you should be able to place where you like. Trial and error...once it puts it foot down there is no moving it. I place mine in the sand on a small flat piece of rock, let it attach, then move it where you like. That way it gives you the flexability of moving it where it does best.