What type of algae is this?? Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by cwjjets, Dec 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cwjjets

cwjjets Plankton

This algae started to form after I added a 48" AquaticLife T5 HO light ..along with many other byproducts found in my forum in the lighting section.. Is this somthing I should be worried about? I was able to get a hold of some off my live rock and it felt like a hard gel capsule, if that helps determine what type it is.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

Bubble algea.It's bad stuff if it spreads.What ever you do do't pop it in the tank.If you can remove the rock before trying to remove bubble.

4. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Green bubble algae, take the rock out scrub it rinse off with some ro and replace...try not to pop under water it'll spread

5. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

bubble algae,emerald crabs will usually take care of it or it can be carefully manually removed.But either way take care of it,it's very invasive.

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Bubble algea. It may become invasive and a problem. Manual removal works, but don't pop it. You can "roll" the bubbles off the rock if you're gentle.

1 person likes this.
  7. cwjjets

cwjjets Plankton

I managed not to pop the one i removed. Now that you guys have said this, thank god. I have one emerald crab but he doesn't seem interested in it, only my other green algae. Thank you all!

8. Click Here!

9. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

My emerald would eat it, but he would also pop it. So it was a mixed blessing. :)

10. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Your welcome! That's why were here

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

With all due respect, there is no such thing as Green Hair Bubble Algae. There is Green Hair Algae and Green Bubble Algae.

I have never had an Emerald Crab touch Green Bubble Algae and numerous others haven't either. If they do it is a rare occasion. The tank is starting to build up nutrients and this should be addressed.

12. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I heard of others having emeralds as well that wouldn't touch it,the ones i had made very short work of cleaning mine up.All though i wouldn't call it a rare occasion.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010