What type is it?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by trent51593, Jan 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

Was woundering if anyone could tell me what type of algea this is?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

if it is what i think it is, pull it out asap and try to get it off any other rocks. from what ive read that is a plague to a reef tank. it grows like weeds and not many known will eat it....Oh yeah bryopsis look it up

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Sort of looks like Bryopsis, but I'm not really sure. I'd get rid of it if I were you just to be safe. Its better not to risk it.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It looks very much like bryopsis. I fought that for a while and had to cover up the source points with epoxy to kill it off. I would remove it ASAP. Depending on the species, almost nothing can be done to get rid of it. Be very careful when pulling it out, if any little piece comes off, it will grow someplace else. This is very hard to do, so keep an eye out for more points of growth in about a week. Good luck.

6. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

looks like you have some in the sand bed. start siphoning sand and weed get it all out

7. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

well the pic i took was the only one that i could get a close up of it so there is more. and i have had a sailfin tang keep it under raps but my power head sucked him up, it was healthy feed seaweed to him everyday so i dont know what happen to him. I was just woundering if it was the plague algea :(.