What to use to mix the salt

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Kanook, Sep 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

i use a mag 3 with a 33 gallon rubbermaid trash can

2. Click Here!

3. salty

salty Plankton

Hi just wanted to ask why do you mix salt water in a buckit with a power head. do you have to let it cycle for a certain amount of time or just untill its disolved thanks im new so hope this isnt to much also is there a thread on setting up your salt water just right thanks.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

eh your suppose to let it sit for atleast 24 hours, but i have done it many times on the fly with a bucket and my hand.

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I use an old Rio2100 and a trash can.

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

And here goes the debate;D......I let mine mix overnight. I have also started mixing at noon during my lunch break and used it at 6PM when I got home. It works either way, but you probably get better dissolution if you leave it 24 hours. JMO.

7. Bigjoeybx

Bigjoeybx Astrea Snail

As for me I fill up a 20g can with ro/di. then I take an empty 5 gallon bucket with maybe 3g from the 20 gal can. then mix 10 cups of salt. Stir with a spoon real good make a whirlpool back and forth till I think dissolved then dump inside the 20g can, with powerhead and heater in it. wait a few hrs thentake sg. then adjust from there. then i unplug everything and leave it alone 12 hrs before I do a water change i plug everything back in.
    and yes i had numerous leaks filling up buckets also now i just use a timer never go to sleep with it on too scary a hose gonna come out the drain