What to supplemental feeding for Clam.

Discussion in 'Clams' started by UMdmd, May 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. UMdmd

UMdmd Astrea Snail

Hey all. I just got a new clam. I think its a Crocea Clam. I was wondering what I could use to target feed it. I presently feed my other corals some Cyclop-Eeze. Would this be good for my clam too?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If the clam is 3" or smaller, you will need to feed it phytoplankton. If it is larger than 3", it should receive plenty of nutrition from your lights alone. Cyclop-Eeze is too big for clams to consume.

1 person likes this.
  4. da colts

da colts Skunk Shrimp

thats is true, after the clam has grown a good supply of its algae it will still filter feed if available but it does not need to,the only exception is the gigas clam as it comes from fairly murky water and still needs to be fed, but they will usually outgrow a tank pretty quickly as they are the fastest growing clam and the largest.

1 person likes this.
  5. LVReefer

LVReefer Astrea Snail

Diddo. Here is an article from the past...

Q: I thought I saw a thread recently on phytoplanton, and clams. I can't remember if the clams can benefit from the phytoplankton or not. Anyone know??? My reason for asking is I have heard that clams do well using DT's.

A: It depends on the species.

T. crocea has adapted to the strong illuminated environment and therefore does not take up any floating particles such as phytoplankton or others.

T. derasa is also a "clear water clam" that does not filter anything. It has, in fact very sensitive gills that tend to clog when there is a high density of floating particles in the water, may this be planctonic food or just stirred up sediments from the gravel.

But T. gigas does benefit from phytoplanctonic food, if it does not come in too big concentrations.

Same for Hippopus hippopus, which (unfortunately) is very seldom available in trade. Recent works have shown that among all tridacnid clams H. h. has the worst adaptation to the symbiosis with the zooxanthellae.

With T. squamosa and T. maxima I'm not sure, but I suppose that they do benefit from it since they are normally occuring between 5 to 15 m (T. m.) and 10 to 15 m (T. s.), so they can live in a deeper and darker environment.

But in any case of feeding it should not be done directly to the clam, but only into the whole tank system.

-Knop

1 person likes this.
  6. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

i feed my baby maxima phytofeast live. he is doing well and growing. good luck, clams can be tricky

1 person likes this.