what to get/what to do?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Twan013, Jan 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

well, as some of you may realize, i'm back to "reefing" lol....

anyway, i've re-introduced myself, so i've decided to start a new thread and ask for some help on deciding...

I've got approximately 3 options, 2 will be ultimately deployed... i just don't know where to start.. so here goes...

option 1:
    TOM deco kit 3, with an AC50 converted to a fuge (using AC20 impeller to slow water flow)... This will be setup at work on my desk, and include shrooms, ricordea's, some xenia, and that may be about it... also, a few hermits and snails, and a goby of some sort

option 2:
    some sort of nanocube/biocube with a stand. also in my cubicle, but in a gap between my desk, and this retarded column that i have to deal with...on a stand of course... i have exactly a 2 foot square space (on the floor, and the height doesn't matter that much).. probably the same setup as option one, but more corals, and either a pair of black or ocellaris clowns, OR a single mandarin... maybe even the clowns first, and after the tank matures enough, change them out for a mandarin, and the mandarin would be the only fish in the tank (of course, i would utilize a pod farm to help with feeding as much as possible, any tips on having a super-efficient pod farm in a nano?)

option 3:
    this is a definate, but not work related. a big full blown reef, a pair of clowns (probably the same ones from option 2), sand sifting goby, clam, all the "popular" stuff... hehe...... this is gonna be setup sometime after i get a tank setup at work... since the smaller ones will be a little easier to maintain... that is, as far as, if i notice anything wrong with the tank throughout the day, i can go ahead and do whatever it takes to fix it... and if something happens with the big tank at home, i won't be able to know it or do anything about it until i get home that night...

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I like the idea of starting 12 gal nano at work.

Get some knock your socks off LR...some sand and start cycle.

While waiting, think about livestock you want to get...

Good luck.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The Mandarin idea makes me a bit nervous - although it would be easy to target feed by itself, they do require quite a bit of food and in a nano a lot of food causes it's own problems.

I had this issue with my diamond goby in my 20 long.

Related, on #3, I would hold off on the goby until the sand is well established.

You are on the right track, thinking of stock with small tanks. Good luck!

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I loved my 12 gallon nano dx....