what to feed o. clowns?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by cbs3315, Sep 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

I have 2 o. clowns that will not eat frozen brine shrimp or frozen mysis shrimp i also tried i.o. seaweed mix packets and they do the same thing with it. they will take it then spit it right out. i can tell they are hungry but dont know what to try next. i had the same type clown before in my old tank and they loved frozen brine shrimp but these dont. any help out there?

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

How long have you had the Clowns? Have you tried soaking the food in Garlic? Maybe try live brine to entice them to start feeding.

4. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

i've had them for about 4 days. i havent tried garlic. ill have to see if my lfs has live brine i'm sure they do but i wonder if i should maybe hatch my own.

5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I agree, mine always go crazy when I soak the food in garlic. I use the San Francisco Bay Brand Marine Cuisine, it's a mixture of mysis/brine/krill/other stuff, I think there's some squid in there too but not sure. Mine love it.

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

4 days may be a little early still. I would give them up to about a week and a half before I would start worrying. They're probably just settling in still.

7. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

sounds good thanks.

i love clowns they have such an awesome personality. my old clown used to eat from my hand and loved for me to rub his side. he acted like a cat. put my finger in the water and he would go back and forth against my finger. hope these will have that kind of personality.

8. Click Here!

9. mattxftw

mattxftw Astrea Snail

+ 1 on the garlic! that stuff makes em' go crazy

10. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

how much garlic do you use? or does it matter?

11. ali1

ali1 Skunk Shrimp

I'm in the same boat. Purchased 2 clowns yesterday and fed them today. They chew it and spit it out. My guess is they are used to frozen meals or they just need time to adjust to the new tank. im glad you posted the same concern i had ;)

12. kelvindodd

kelvindodd Plankton

I would agree with the above. I had 2 o. clowns that wouldn't eat for a little over a week after introducing them into my tank (first fish). After that, they became ravenous eaters. So I say give them a little more time, they'll come around.