What to feed blue spotted puffer

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by texanjordan, Aug 4, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

I just picked up a blue spotted puffer from a guy from facebook yesterday. The fish was injured from his grouper, and he wanted it re-homed. The wounds are healed, and its looks like its getting its coloration back. He told me that this puffer was completely reef safe in his tank, and left everything alone including shrimp and CUC. I feed my fish Rods food and Nori, and last night the puffer ate some of the rods that I put in. So far it has completely left my CUC alone, and just seems pretty content to just swim around. What should I feed this fish to wear down its teeth? The guy I got the fish from says he puts in ghost shrimp and the puffer eats those, are they enough to wear down the fish? I just dont know about the ghost shrimp because 1. they are freshwater, and 2. they might give the puffer the wrong idea, and make it think that it can eat my CUC. Advice please.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

From LA:The Blue Spotted Puffer may also be called the Blue Dot Toby or Blue Dot Sharp-nosed Puffer. Members of the Canthigaster genus are called Sharp-nosed Puffers or Tobies. The Blue Spotted Puffer Canthigaster solandri and the Papuan Toby Puffer Canthigaster papua have very similar characteristics. The lack of orange coloration around the mouth of the Blue Spotted Puffer Canthigaster solandri distinguishes these two puffers. The Blue Spotted Puffer lacks pelvic fins, but has learned to use the pectoral fins to move about the aquarium.
    A 50 gallon or larger, fish-only aquarium is suitable. Its teeth are actually a fused beak-like structure. It may eat invertebrates found in a reef tank. It becomes alarmed when in a net, therefore, use a container to transfer it.

The diet of the Blue Spotted Puffer needs a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  4. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

I have read that too, I was asking what people who have them actually feed them. I have google as well.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I feed mine mysis and clams. The crazy thing also eats flake, nori and pretty much anything I put in the tank.

Mr. Bill and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Sorry I read it as you asking about the diet and how to keep the teeth short.lol

Mr. Bill and DSC reef like this.
  7. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

I always feed my puffers and triggers table shrimp(shell on),oysters,clams (fully closed,open about half way and let them work a bit),,trigger formula cubes,NLS and hikari pellet food..
    Sometimes I offer fresh hermits and snails..Usually every couple months ..

Mr. Bill and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Mine was a glutton and ate everything I put in there. He never ate my CUC or other tank mates though. Nori, Mysis, Krill, Clams, you name it, were all on his hit list. I ended up taking him out of my tank and giving to a friend because he was eating everything before the other fish could get theirs.

10. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

Oh mine is definitely not picky ,he eats nori also ..(actually its good that they do,,keeps them "regular" LOL)
    My old one did not eat it and would get constipated from time time ..Nice epsom salt soak would help that though ...

Side note about krill ,,i have read in a few articles that it "may" be a cause for lockjaw in triggers,lions and puffers that had suffered form it ..IDK,but i never feed mine krill

CBSurfrider likes this.
  11. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

^^ Easy enough.. No more Krill!