what to dose

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by pancake, Feb 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pancake

pancake Astrea Snail

I have a 55 gallon reef with a few fish, inverts and mostly SPS corals. I am currently dosing kent nano reef two part about every 3rd day to keep coral growing well. It is only sold in small bottle and I go through these pretty quickly. I was wondering what brand of 2 part is the best to use? I was looking at TLF C-balance. What do ya'll think? I was looking at the ingredient list and it contains copper chloride. will this kill my inverts?

Thanks for the help.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The copper chloride is so tiny that it is not a problem. There are creatures that use it and it is in sea water naturally.

I don't use two part. I would look at all brands and find one that has a proven track record and you find it easy to use.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Good packaged 2 parts include B Ionic and C Balance. PLaces like Bulk Reef Supply sell 2 part kits that are much cheaper and easy to use.

Are you testing your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium to make sure you are doing your tank any good? Never ever add anything whatsoever that you don't have test lkits for and use on a regular basis. Just because someone said to add Brand XYZ every 3 days does not make it necessary and its the easiest way to get a system out of whack there is. If you do not know for certain you have a demand for something don't add it.

If your tank is still fairly young and the SPS load is not that big I would imagine water changes alone with a good salt mix wil have everything you need without any additives or supplements. I would stop dosing anything at all until you get test kits and use them long enough to establish a baseline so you know what you are lacking and what the correct amounts are to add.

5. pancake

pancake Astrea Snail

I do test calcium, dKH, mag. I dont have test kits for all the trace chemicals that are in the two part. I dose the part A and part B every three days on average when my levels are a little on the low side. I also do weekly water changes with Reef Crystals.

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Once you get to dosing regularly the cheapest source I've found for good quality chemicals is www.bulkreefsupply.com .