What to dose for sps

Discussion in 'Coral' started by gaz2374, Feb 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gaz2374

gaz2374 Plankton

Looking to move over to a few sps colonies over the next few months I have several lps that are thriving and 1 sps montipora undata but fear any more and things will start going wrong without dosing I tried a few frags of sps a few months back and lost them all not sure why maybe too many at once,placement went straight to the top placement rather than on sand bed to acclimate to the lights,currently have .
    Duncan,plates,chalice,candycanes,zoas,torch,clam and the undata
    Also have good flow mp10wes and lights radion gen2

Any suggestions to start out maybe hand dosing ?
    In my sump I have cheato on a reverse 12hr and carbon that's it and skimmer ,stopped nopox as the cheato has taken over the role .

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

sounds good except,

Ya need to get your params stable, getr the corals, then test and see whats out of kilter between your WC's.
    IF, you need to dose anything, you'll find out my checking params, etc.

Welcome to 3 Reef

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I wouldn't dose until you notice growth. It may take weeks, to months, to a year for SPS to begin growing in new tanks.

I wouldn't dose anything without first testing your levels upon notice of growth and then a week later. This will give you an idea of how much calcium/alk. your corals are using per week and that can be broken down into daily for dosing purposes.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You will need to regularly test for Alk.,Calcium, and Mag. The amount you will need to dose will change depending on corals and growth rates.Test your water regularly and you will get a feel for what your system uses.

1 person likes this.
  6. gaz2374

gaz2374 Plankton

Have those 3 test kits but at the minute regular water changes are replacing what's lost just don't want to come unstuck if 3 or 4 colonies start using everything and I have no dosing method in mind.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well that will largely depend on what those colonies are consuming.

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Which will depend on every factor that makes your system yours, so trial and error is really the only way forward.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

11. gaz2374

gaz2374 Plankton

So I buy the colonies test daily and see what's depleting over a week then try figure out what to dose when it's needed rather than find out prior to needing it like now and having a plan.

12. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

Until you have #'s to go off, moderate waterchanges can keep your levels in check. There is no way to know what your daily usage will be, no one will even be willing to guess. I will suggest getting a bulk reef supply 2 part(3 in reality) kit. Its everything you need to get started and the price is right. You can dose by hand or use auto pumps when you have stats.