What to do?!

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by mikev15101, Jan 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have some "live rock" that i got back in Oct. has been sittin in basement in a tubberware container in saltwater since. No heater, nothing. Was just extra that I did not use in my display. Wondering if I can just boil it and place it in my display let the other rock seed it. OR i was going to boil it all use it in my new 20 gallon and take a peice out of my DT along with live sand to cycle the 20. Just wanted to know if it was ok to boil then place in the DT, since there shouldnt be a cycle since everything should be dead and cleaned out of it. THANK YOU!!

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I wouldn't boil it. If you dry it out you could probably do that. Then I would put it in a separate container for a while to soak out, but with a heater and water flow.

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Yes. Boiling it is fine as long as you remain faithful to the seeding measures you allude to in your post. With some sand and LR from an established tank, the newly boiled "LR" should become LR in short order.

Good luck, and welcome to 3Reef! :)

5. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

yea, was just making sure it wouldn't cycle or do anything bad to my display tank. I was thinking it wouldn't since it would pretty much be just like adding dead rock or base rock.