What to do...

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by JetEngineMech, Mar 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

I have a 55 gal tank now (FOWLR) and may be adding a 30 gal or so corner tank at either end. Is there a way to use my Lifegard filter to filter all three tanks? The corner tanks may be acrylic if that helps.

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

What's a lifeguard filter? And what are you trying to achieve?

4. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Its an inline filter, and i you could share the sump. with two return pumps, 2 overflows, and 1 sump. just a lot trickier :-/

5. JetEngineMech

Yep, it's an inline filter. I'm trying to see if I can run all 3 tanks on one filter system.

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

you can, my LFS does, just gotta have three different returns and overflows. All going to one sump :D

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

The only way I could fathom using a single filtration device for 3 tanks, is to have all three tanks share one sump. With 3 tanks sharing one sump, the sump would have to be almost prohibitively huge, because of the potential for flooding in the event of a power outage.

As I'm sure you know, when the power goes out, all three tanks will continue to fill the sump until the water level goes below the overflow.

I suppose it could be done, but it's a huge undertaking.

Let us know how you do!

8. Click Here!

9. JetEngineMech

Yikes. I'll have to give it some more thought then. Maybe if I keep the sump in the basement, that's where my RO setup is. But I'd probably need a MUCH better pump.

10. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

buddy of mine has a setup thats 3x tanks 58, 75, 90g all going to a 55g sump with 1 protein skimmer and the rest of the filters on that sump.

biggest issue is if one tank gets sick, all 3 get sick unless you have uv sterilizers on it

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Those where my exact thoughts. If one tank has a bad omen, the others will follow. I personaly would rather lose one tank rather than all three.jimo

12. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Are they all going to be FOWLR? because mixing in a reef tank could really be problematic in terms of water quality parameters.