Unresolved what to do

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by dugas, Mar 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dugas

dugas Plankton

I have a 90 gal. saltwater tank. i have live rock snails and hermit crabs. I used my well water and mixed my salt water to it. The PH is low 7.6 maybe and alk is not even in rang to test. my well water is at 7.4. was thinking bout buying a ro unit. plus i have used the balance buffer and 8.4 nothing works. and i have algae all in the sand and rocks red and green.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Def buy a RODI unit. well water es no bueno!

4. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I think everyone will unanimously agree with this! A tank can only be as good as the water inside of it ;)

5. dugas

dugas Plankton

what is a good brand and or model to buy.

6. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I bought a refurbished Spectrapure and am very happy with it. Bulkreefsupply probably has a good one too, and I'm sure there's others. I can only speak on behalf of what I've used though

MAXPURE MPDI SYSTEM

Do some searches, you won't find many negative things said about them

1 person likes this.
  7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

spectrapure is the best for sure, they have refurb models for about $150 shipped, if not that get a bulkreefsupply.com one with a refillable DI cartridge or a buckeyefieldsupply.com one for about the same

8. Click Here!

9. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Can't help you with what to buy, but I can say I wouldn't recommend the CoralLife. That's what I bought. Very poorly built.

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I would drain the tank, clean it up, get new sand, cook the live rock, and start again with a SpectraPure Water Purification Products RODI system. Not only are they a sponsor here they make great fixtures its what I use.

The problem with well water is there are USUALLY a metric crap ton of dissolved solids like metals and salts that you really don't want in a reef environment.

11. dugas

dugas Plankton

the store where i live sells a seachem 4 stage for 200 dollors is that good. have been looking and was wondering if i could get by with less like a two stage

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

nah, you don;t want a 2 stage. The first 2 filters on a 4stage are cheap as heck and will prolong the life of the DI and RO. will def save ya money.

And no don't get that, get the ones recommended.