What to do with the Brain?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by jdameli1, Sep 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

I have an open brain at least thats what I think it is its in the brain family anyway. Had it maybe 4 months or so

it went to the sand for the first 2 months and thats when my powder blue tang decided to use it as a jumping bag, and nose dives it when it swims by. After a week of this weird behavior, the brain was pissed and began showing some skeleton so I moved it to a flat rock about 4 inches from the sand.

2 months later now hes doing great on this rock, and the pbt has left him alone, today for the first time someone or thing knocked him over off the rock

I put him on the sand again, and in with minutes the pbt began nose diving it again, so back on the rock the brain went.

Would it be okay to glue the brain to the rock so he doesnt get knocked again?

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

This is wird, we need a vid.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Yes, the coral can be glued to a rock. Just be careful not to touch the flesh while you're handling it.

5. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

one thing to keep in mind is that sharp edges on rocks can tear the tissue of open brains as they expand and contract. not as bad as getting pick on by tang, but something to consider

6. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

I did put it on a rock that's a large like ledge, so it shouldn't touch the surrounding rock at all, and the rock is really flat. The brain being up there actually makes the tank look pretty cool will get pics

I'm at a loss of what to do really since I know it should be in the sand but the pbt uses it as a trampoline

The brain seems to doing great on the rock, Skelton isn't showing anymore, and he's not shriveled up like it was when he was being beaten up

I love my pbt for his color and funky personality but he's a real pain in the butt sometimes

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Sidenote: that sort of behavior from the PBT is to do with territorial issues. It's a matter of territorial display.

8. Click Here!

9. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

Good to know! But he's still a giant pain in the butt