What to do with empty compartment on CPR Bak Pak?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by DaDaAtlanta, Oct 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HappyGillmore

HappyGillmore Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Not sure if its been suggested yet but Id use that area for media bags, phoslock and chemi pure. I actually just hook up an remote 10 gallon tank or larger for a real fuge. A simple closed loop overflowing back to the tank with some mud in it would do wonders for the reef. If you could do it. Between that and the media bags its likely youd never have to sorry bout phosphates or nitrates again.

The cheato is a great idea though, seems to be the spaghetti would serve the same bubble trapping purpose as the bio bale. I just know how beneficial a larger nutrient export system would be. I would love to know how much growth you get out of the cheato in there. Going to check up on this thread in hopes of a before and after pics :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I havent had any growth with the chaeto yet actually. I use a canister filter with the chemipure and phosphate reactor. The skimmer does best left alone and empty is what I have realized after tryin different things. I would like to set up a 10 gal fuge and can probably make the room for it under one side of my tank but I don't know how to set up the pumps/overflow for the water to circulate. I may just invest in a cpr hob refugium, wont have to worry about all that or possible floods etc. and I think I can use mud in there.

4. jarrettd123

jarrettd123 Astrea Snail

i have a HOB skimmer and i put seagel in the extra compartment grab a little media bag and drop it in.

5. HappyGillmore

HappyGillmore Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Really al you have to do is set a pump in your tank or in your sump and run it into the tank. Then youre just one drilled hole and a hose away from a functioning remote fuge. Most people say you really want it comming from your sump because you dont want unfiltered water going into the fuge. But Ive had it coming right from the left back corner of my display tank, actually where my tank's circulation deposits 95% of its detritus. Ive had no problem doing it like that and it was really by design to have the fuge aid in the processing of the tanks detritus. In your fuge you can really get a wonderful balance of lifeforms that will handle anything your DT throws at it. I seriously could go on and on about how life maintains life in a properly set up refugium. But I wont open that can of worms unless you want me to. Ive run into a little trouble at past forums because of my firm beliefs in refugiums. Seems fuge's are not good for business for many, after all if life itself can effectively sustain an ecosystem than who makes money on it other than livestock suppliers. But 3reef by far is the most openminded joint ive been to and they dont even have to announce it, they just are.

Anyway if youd like some help on setting up a great fuge PM me now that youre on my Blist. Id be happy to share all ive learned about them.

6. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I switched the normal twist air thing for a needle valve and it has increased the skimmate. As for the air pump mod. I got the wrong kind of stone, the bubbles arent fine enough so I think I'll have to go back and get a wooden stone.