What to do, what to do??

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by kwinter1, Dec 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

So, I have been slowly getting the things I need to set up my 125 rr tank. I have been putting lighting off for many reasons; they are expensive, to many choices, and I really have no idea. I am wanting to have a mixed reef. I am leaning away from MH due to energy usage. I don't want to hang lights from the ceiling the closer to the tank the better IMO.
    I would love LEDS based on power consumption and longevity I am all about low maintenance lol. BUT, I need more info on them I see a lot of diy but not so much about them as far as what I need. The comparison between leds and other types of lighting is a bit confusing. So, if you can keep it simple for me that would be awesome lol. I understand there is a large up front cost for LEDS but pays back relatively quickly. If I go the LED route I would end up doing it as a diy project.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

There are lots of great DIY LED websites and suppliers, in fact a few of them sponsor 3reef, I emailed one or two and they gave me a list of what I would need based on my tank dimensions and whether or not I was keeping SPS or lps and softies only. I would email one of said suppliers or more, and find out from a pro! if you decide to go prebuilt, there are a couple major brands, Radion, and AI SOL (I prefer these) its all preference about color

4. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I personally would look into a T5 fixture that is supplemented with LED's. I have seen a lot of amazing 3watt Cree DIY's, but they just arent proving themselves to me. I have seen at least 4 setups that have had these for over a year, and they cannot seem to figure out the right combos. and end up burning and bleaching corals, and getting intense algae outbreaks. I am going to let these "pioneers" keep figuring it out, and until then, stick with my T5's. You get cool temp operation, options in color combos, and with just a blue LED strip, you can get the shimmer and color pop everyone loves.

5. kwinter1

Would a 48"strip of t5's work with 6-8 bulbs and keep lower light corals on the end? Easier to find deals on that than a 72"

6. kwinter1

what are peoples opinion on 48 Inch 6x54 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture w/ 4 LEDs? Would this be enough light? Have a chance to get one for a good price.

7. kwinter1

8. Click Here!

9. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

If you are going to put all your rock under the light in the center of the tank you should be good.I've thought about doing it myself but over a 5 ft tank.

10. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

If its for a good deal than it may be worth it

11. kwinter1

$225 used from a trusted seller, decent i think, has bulbs
    rather find a 72 in but i guess i can always add more later lol

12. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I have a 48" aquaticlife fixture and it is awesome. the stock bulbs are not though. and as far as the LED's on it, they are a late night lunar look, they don't really put off that much light, and you cant even tell they are on if any other lights are on at the same time. but the all in one digital timer is awesome, as well as it only having one plug.

you might want to check these out too
    AgroLED LED/T5 HO Combination Fixtures | Sunlight Supply, Inc. - Indoor Gardening Supplies, Grow Lights, Hydroponics, and Lighting