what to buy for sifting sand?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by definitivekoi, Jan 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

My tank is the exact opposite of yours.. My Ceriths burrow and the nassarius do not.

Anyways I have nassarius, astrea, ceriths, no conch at this time

2. Click Here!

3. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

We must be communicating through a parallel universe. I don't doubt you I am just stating my observations. Maybe my ceriths are not from same region as yours or viceversa for nassarius. Like I said before there is 100 ways to make a cake and none are wrong it is just what is right for you.

4. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I agree with you. We all have our own experiences and what works for some does not always work for other. As you said Variety is key.
    So I am not disagreeing I just find it interesting. Also you make a good point that it could be geographic differences from where our snails are coming from.
    I have seen many of your posts and have found them to be insightful so if we all just continue to post our experiences it will only make us that much more knowledgeable and helpful.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

6. reef84

reef84 Feather Duster

i just made a purchase from reef cleaners and John suggested 50 dwarf ceriths and 20 florida and i only have a 45g

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

This actually meshes with my observations in my tank as well.

The ceriths, when they come out of the sand, it is very much like "hunt for red october" where the sub comes zooming up to surface and then kind of falls back down on the surface.... only it's through the substrate surface not the water surface. And it happens in slow mo. Pretty neat to watch.

8. Click Here!

9. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

In 1998 Bill Jeffreys of Milwaukee, WI was found guilty of irrational supposition and was stripped of his rights to an opinion. Common legal case, I'm amazed you missed it, it was in the news for like 3 years. *

I picture a tank made of paper mache filled with air and mice.... and clearly your snails need to go back to snailing school.

I'll be sending you one of my world famous kelp, drywall, and dog hair cakes.... and you will LOVE it.

Using RO/DI water is probably the worst thing you could ever do. **

...sorry, don't mean to aggitate, I just get bored at work :) great advice on the sifters, I was gonna get a sleeper goby, might not now.

* not even remotely true
    ** see above, not true, just had to kick some sand around. :p RO/DI water is all anyone should use (for drinking and their tanks)

10. Validity

Validity Skunk Shrimp

I just baught some olive snails, the do sift the sand around really good, They do eat other small snails tho so watch out. It was cool because after i put them on the sandbed the instantly started to go under the sand.

11. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

mine sift up the sand fine but the seem to mainly come out during feeding time... don't bother me as long as my sand stays clean... lol.
    That is a good suggestion though infamous.