What the ....is this possible??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by nemo79, Apr 25, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I have been having issues keeping my alk and ca at normal levels. I had no problems up until a few weeks ago. Last night I tested everything...all is good except the alk and ca. I added my supplements this morning before lights on as usual. How is it possible that my levels lowered even though I added the supplements???

Tues. Readings

Alk 8dkh
    ca 375ppm
    ph 8.4 (at night)
    phos 0
    nitrates 0
    mag 1500

wed readings

ca 350ppm
    alk 7 dkh

I am using kents super dkh buffer and liquid calcium. I have a ton of coraline in my tank...I mean alot! I also did a water change Sunday night.

thanks all. by the way when can I stop using the kents nitrate sponge?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Your coralline is sucking the stuff out of your water faster than you add it so you might have to increase the amount you supplement.

4. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Well if that's the only problem that's an easy fix. Thanks

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

;D It's nice to have an easy fix for a change isn't it? :)

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Unless the tank it dead then it becomes static as long as its thriving and growing so will all of the element demands also..Just keep on top of it.. Just double the amount that you are dosing or dose the same twice as often..

7. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

What do you mean by dead Tangster? I am using 13ml of the kents pro dkh buffer and 1 teaspoon of kents liquid calcium. I am afraid of over dosing the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

the directions

Well I am confused about the do not exceed 1/2 ml per gallon in a 12 hr period.

Pro DKH instructions:

Directions:
    Important: Read use & interaction below! Add 10 ml per 40 gallons aquarium capacity each day, in a high flow area of the aquarium, until target alkalinity is reached. Use along with any good calcium supplement to stabilize alkalinity in a reef type marine aquarium. Add in the morning to prevent overshoot of pH. (Cap on 16 oz. bottle equals 5 ml, Cap on 64 oz. and gallon equals 10 ml) Never mix with a calcium or magnesium solution, add to tank separately. Some cloudiness may be observed. This should go away rapidly.

Considerations for use:
    A pH of 8.0 to 8.3 and an alkalinity of 2.9 to 4.0 meq/L (8 to 11 dKH) is recommended for reef type aquariums (fish only marine aquariums should maintain 3.5 to 5.5 meq/L or 10 to 14 dKH) and calcium level should be maintained between 400 and 450 ppm, using Kent Turbo•Calcium, Concentrated Liquid Calcium, or Kalkwasser Mix. Test calcium & alkalinity and adjust the recommended dose for your particular system! Do not exceed 1/2 ml of this product per gallon per 12 hour period

Liquid calcium:Directions:
    Add 1/4 to 1 teaspoon (1/4 to 1 capful or 1.25 to 5 ml) per 50 gallons (190 l) of tank capacity each day, based on animal load. Since animals use calcium, and gallons do not, regular testing of calcium level by a good calcium test kit (HachTM brand is recommended) is advised. Adjust amount of addition of the product to achieve a calcium level of about 400 mg/l. A higher level may result in rapid calcium compound precipitation and deposits which can possibly be destructive to pumps and other sensitive system equipment. It is recommended that you regularly check impellers and other delicate equipment for calcium deposits if you run higher (above 400 mg/l) system calcium levels! For best results adjust system KH to 8 to 10 dKH with Superbuffer-dKH or Marine Aquarium pH•Buffer

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What I meant by dead is the only time a tank becomes static and not evolving is when it dead, But to keep it thriving you have to increase dosages . For get the label directions . I have literally dumped the ca. and carbonate buffer in by the shot glass full. You will reach a point that the tank can uptake it as fast and faster then the directions will say its needed. Think about it... I run a Ca reactor but I had to toss a scoop of buffer in there a few weeks ago. With every inch of coral growth and or new coral that puts a load on the elements .

11. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Oh, thanks for the explanation. I upped the dose this morning so I will test tonight and see what happens. thanks so much .

12. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Hi

HI,
    Are you seeing alot of that precip in your tank and pumps it turns white if you had a precip event, this will really lower the calcium quickly it can occur if the KH is to high and the Mag to low. Mag prevents the event by binding the free sites on the calcium ion so it dosen't fall out.
    Most saltwater reef tanks are near 100% saturation any shift in Mag or KH can cause problems, I found out the hard way.:p
    Doug

PS most test kit are off by about 30 % this has been doccumented on other forums, so your just trying to get and idea where its at.