What the ... is my candy cane coral excreting??

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by oBEA5To, Sep 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oBEA5To

oBEA5To Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok well for a while already my nitrates have been around 40ppm and no matter what i did they wouldnt go down so today i switched out the crushed coral and put argonite sand since i heard crushed coral catches a lot of crap in it and because my serpent star knocked over all the rock work during the night. well i have a candy cane coral and today i used some reef putty (the epoxy stuff that holds rocks together) and stuck the bottom base of him to a rock since he kept falling off well ever since i put him back in the tank he is excereting some sort of mucus looking crap idk what it is but it just sticks to the coral it looks like strings. My xenia zoas and everything else are fine if not better then they were before. What is this and is it dying?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Either excreting waste, zooxanthellae, or brown jelly disease by the sound of it.

An image always really helps.

4. oBEA5To

Heres a pic of it

5. oBEA5To

Sorry attached it but forgot to press the upload button

Attached Files:

6. Corailline

Looks like a very mad candy cane. I would epoxy/or super glue gel it into place securely or it will die from the stress of falling eventually.

I do not see brown jelly so I am guessing just expelling zooxanthellae, waste or both.

7. oBEA5To

Yeah i just epoxied it on the rock where the white clump is thats the epoxy holding it down so theres a chance it will return back to normal?

8. Click Here!

9. oBEA5To

Also do these corals skeletons grow or do only the heads grow until they take over the skeleton? I expoxied the bottom of it but dont know if that will affect it growing any how

10. Corailline

The skeleton does grow or build upon it's self if the big 3 are in line. Stony corals need a base for the polyp to reside in, the skeleton is not a function of or development of old polyp tissue.