What the heck is this??????????

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by mm2002, May 16, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

The wifey was re-arranging some Fiji rock we recently used to set up her new 29gal in her office, and this little dude fell out of one of the rocks. I have never seen anything like it before. The "bulbous" body is about 3/4" long, and has a brown and white colored tentacle that extends out about 1 1/2" (also retracts completely inside the "body"). As you can see in the pics, it eventually used the tentacle to bury itself in the gravel bottom, and we haven't seen it since. It's probably something common, but we've never seen one. Whatever it is, it must be pretty tough, as this tank is in the peak of the Nitrite cycle, and this was fully cured rock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  4. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

wow that looks cool

5. WAHMof2

WAHMof2 Plankton

Bruce-
    If that's what it is,and I have to say it looks convincing to me, is it a bad thing to have in the tank? Will it harm anything?
    Thanks
    Amanda

6. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

Scary! Weird All the good things you get with Fiji Sand lol!

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

First off....

Karma to Bruce!!!

Secondly, they are extremely ugly but they are great detrivores and will benefit your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Ya peanut worms are pretty cool little critters. I find it a little funny how so many things that we used to think of as pests are now thought of as helpful. I love it. Bristle worms...WE LOVE YOU!

10. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Cool, thanks for the info! We haven't seen him since he buried in the sand, so I'm assuming these are great sand sifters. Too bad you can't buy them anywhere, I'd like to have some in our reef tank and fuge.

11. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Wow! I've never seen a "whole" peanut worm. I usually just see the end peeking out when I turn the lights on at night. Great picture!

12. Surf rider

Surf rider Bristle Worm

Any one know what this is. It hitch hiked on some coral from about three months ago. It was not visible then but has now grown to about an inch in diameter. It moves about as fast as a fast snail, avoids light, has two feelers, seems to be eating algae. Thank you,
    Blue algae eater2.jpg