what the bazooka?...ro/di tds

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Swisswiss, Feb 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Install the valve on the waste line and pinch it down so you have 4:1 or 4 times the waste as treated flow. use a measuring cup and clock or watch for exactly one minute to adjust. Once it is set you shouldsee improvements in the treated TDS. That valve is not suited for long term use as it will drift and require adjustment but capillary tubes are only about $5-$6 from a RO supplier.

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

ill calculate the ratio precisely soon, in the meantime I closed the valve so as my psi hits the 50 bar. tis readings are still 124 on the treated line. would letting the water run for a while through the system help?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. Swisswiss

hmm seems it is working, down to 108 after a few mins

5. Swisswiss

many thx again from me and my aquarium for healing this headache of mine AZ.

after doing some search on what "capillary tubes" are called in french it seems the site i got the unit from sells them. but again not sure what i should be getting :S.

here are the details (not sure how good your french is lol)

simple flow restrictor

Restricteur de débit fixe 300 ml
    5,92 EUR
    Détails Acheter
    Restricteur de débit fixe 300 mlCe restricteur de débit fixe 300 ml est à connections rapides pour tube 1/4" (6.32mm de diamètre).

Il permet de créer une contre pression sur la membrane pour réaliser l'eau osmosé.

again a simple flow restrictor but 420 ml

Restricteur de débit fixe 420 ml
    5,92 EUR
    Détails Acheter
    Restricteur de débit fixe 420 mlCe restricteur de débit fixe 420 ml est à connections rapides pour tube 1/4" (6.32mm de diamètre).

Il permet de créer une contre pression sur la membrane pour réaliser l'eau osmosé.

this is a valve that includes a flow restrictor, used to flush the unit membranes?
    Vanne de rinçage manuel pour membrane sur osmoseur
    12,95 EUR
    Détails Acheter
    Véritable vanne de rinçage manuel pour membrane 100 à 300 GPD d'osmose inversé avec restricteur incorporé...

and another valve for 50-75gdp

12,95 EUR
    Détails Acheter
    Véritable vanne de rinçage manuel pour membrane 50 à 75 GPD d'osmose inversé avec restricteur incorporé...

also after 20 mins TDS reading are in the high 60 mark

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  6. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Well my french is horrible but here are a few different types of capillary tubes you can buy for comparison.

Flow Restrictor
    -This type is installed in the drain line where the drain line hooks into the membrane housing. Get the flow restrictor size that matches the flow rating of your membrane (GPD).

Reverse Osmosis System Flush Valve Kit
    -A flush valve kit that allows you to periodically "wash" the membrane by bypassing the flow restrictor. Watch the video on this page. It explains the installation process very well. This RO is very similar to yours as well.

Flow Restrictor for 50 GPD RO w Quick-Connect Fittings
    -another type of flow restrictor you could use

7. Swisswiss

the first two links are what i was talking about too, I'm guessing i need the 50gpd version yes?

8. Click Here!

9. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Based on your pictures of flow I would say yes 50GPD is what you have. 36GPD is another common membrane size just so you know. Hopefully you are able to look up what GPD membrane you purchased but if not it will more than likely be the 50GPD (based on the pictures). If the 50 doesn't get you to where you need to be drain/product water ratio wise then you could get the 36.

10. Swisswiss

right well i ordered the flow restrictor. I'm still getting high tis readings after the RO stage. I'm thinking perhaps to replace my membranes all together. is there a particular order that the water is suppose to go through? i might have installed them in the wrong order.

11. Swisswiss

unbelievable....... i opened my RO tube expecting to find one of these http://www.vontron.com/upload/images/200811/20081120143138927960.jpg

instead what do i see inside......nothing, zero, niet the tube is completely empty!!!! &%/ç*%"%+ç"*%%*!!!!!!!!!

now i understand my pressure issues. urgh! biggest face palm moment of my life.

changed the 3 filters (sediment, granualer carbon and catalyst carbon, in that order) tds after those three stages is around 113 (guess my old filters were still good but oh well)

TDS reading after RO membrane 3

pressure with no valve on waste line 50psi , with booster pump turned on roughly 115.

God i feel stupid, i dont understand how some of my corals have been thriving all this time....though some are starting to give signs of stress hence why i decided to bite the bullet and fight my RODI unit

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  12. Swisswiss