Urgent What the are these?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by mdbostwick, Jan 16, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Bayer insecticide.

Are these bugs copper/red/orange in color?

2. Click Here!

3. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

The ones i have are gray brown or black. They are so small it is hard to tell the color or the shape.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It really does not matter what Arthropod they are specifically. They might not even be parasitic to your coral types. I have had Black Bugs before and Red Bugs. Blacks Bugs were not much of an issue for me, Red Bugs have a distinct red head that you can see when you blow up an image.

I am inclined to think what is going on with the sps involves multiple variables. As usual I suggest treatment with Interceptor to the tank and then you'll know for sure that the Black Bugs or whatever type of mite they are, are not the issue.

There are probably thousands of different types of Arthropods that are parasite to specific sps types to some degree.

One of my favorite links:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/corals

:)

mdbostwick likes this.
  6. mdbostwick

Does using interceptor have any side effects, with fish snails pods algae? I have heard of using interceptor but have never read up on it. Although that process will start tomorrow.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Oh sorry the product is now called Sentinel. The product has the potential to kill your shrimp, crabs, hermits and it does kill off a good portion of your pod population. Other than that the product is mostly benign. If treatment carries too many risk then for sure Bayer.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Good luck MD, this is one of those proverbial speed bumps in the hobby.

10. mdbostwick

After observing these for a couple days now the white part which was dead before I noticed these "bugs" has not gotten any bigger and they are still on the white parts and only the white parts of the coral. I thought about pulling the frag which they are on and dipping it but that frag was dipped twice when I got it and so i doubt killing the 5-6 on the coral is going to do much. I am weary of treating the entire tank because I don't think i could get my blood red shrimp out of the tank very easily, and i don't really look forward to having to rebuild my pod population either.

My wife is going to try to take some better pictures tomorrow night when she can use her telephoto lens and see if anyone can recognize them.

At this point though I would really like to hear what my 3reefer friends would do in this instance. I appreciate all your help.

Corailline likes this.
  11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

If it continued to worsten and I couldn't identify the issue, I'd treat. I've treated twice with sentinel and its pretty harmless.

Corailline likes this.