What temp. is considered too hot??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by sauce-n-tank, Jun 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sauce-n-tank

sauce-n-tank Feather Duster

Hey reefers i have my aquarium next to my window and im not moving it anytime soon. The heat from the window (sun) is taking my tank temp. up to 81" almost 82" degrees. How hot can my tank be and how can it affect my tank in any way??

2. Click Here!

3. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

thats fine. you probably want to be at 79.8 thats what i like.

but........its save up to 82 so your ok.

4. sauce-n-tank

ok cause when i had my blue hipo people told me that is way too hot for them and i could kill it. and i have also an anemone.. would that be affected too??

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

My tanks stay at 82 all of the time. I do this on purpose. I would start taking action if my stuff got up above 85

6. sauce-n-tank

OK i c thanks.. who else has there tank at 82" or above and with any hard to keep fish??

7. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

coastal water temps around the Keys has been 86 degrees for almost 3 weeks now and will stay close to that throughout the summer, so i'd say your OK

8. Click Here!

9. sauce-n-tank

GOOd 411! but there is still coral reefs in the keys cause i heard they are almost all gone??

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Need to really start worrying if tank temps go into high 80's for any length of time...82 ok, but not much margin if things really heat up...

May have some algae issues of tank spending much time in sunlight...

Good Luck!

11. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I have mine from 80-82F. I thinks that's normal for south Florida unless you have a chiller or your house is a chiller. You just need too keep water aerated since there's less oxygen in hot water.

12. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

All kinds of them, sombrero reef out of Marathon is one of the nicest one...

My tanks have been running 85 during the day an 81 to 82 for the last couple of weeks, one of the reasons I am moving downstairs. But I can say that they look great, corals have never been more open and active. Even my xenia has been real active which is not suposed to happen. I only have one more to move downstairs now...