What temp do you guys like to stay at

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by daninfamous, Oct 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

the best way i keep the tank cool is with an electric fan sitting in front and the hood as much open as i can. sometimes in the summer ill put ice cubes in a bag tie it up and drop the bag in the return chamber.

as far as your water coming too low. this is a biocube right? and you are refering to the markings of minimum and maximum on the side? my advise is to stay a slight bit over the max line.

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

i have a fan over my sump during the summer and this makes it so it never goes above 81

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

My controller turns the heater on at 78.5 and goes off at 79. During the day this time of year it may get up to 81 with the lights on. Main Halides running 7 hours a day. If I run the lights that long in the summer it will get much hotter. May run lights a little longer when it's cooler.

If I'm in Dallas next year I'm buying a chiller because I can't run the lights as long in the summer and I have to keep the room temp at 72.. which cost a lot in Dallas. The AC system burns 3500 ish Watts alone. I have a very old HVAC and poor insulation. Hard to tell exactly but I would say I'm spending an extra $70-$100 per month in electricity when it's hot.

I have fans programmed to come on at 81.

5. Evan127

Evan127 Spaghetti Worm

Mine is in the basement, so my tank is almost always between 77F - 81F all year around. But thumbs up for fans and an open hood.

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I have my controller set to turn the fan on at 79, turn off at 78.5. The heater turns on at 77.5 and turns off at 78.

7. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

My tank runs between 78-80. I have about 15 magerita snails in there and they dont seem to mind