What SPS to buy tomorrow.. Opinions Please!!!

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by bama, Dec 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jzenob

jzenob Coral Banded Shrimp

neon green birds nest is awesome and grows super fastttt!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

+1 to buy only what you really love. A couple things to think about, Monti Caps grow BIG, so in a 30g you will have to trim it often once it gets going and will have to find something to do with all your frags.

Also adding a huge amount of coral sounds nice but I would actually caution against it, especially for such a small system (mine is 30g too) I added a large amount of coral to my tank a while ago and found it really difficult to keep up with the calcium/alkalinity demands for a while once all the coral took off at the same time, going from needing to dose for .5 dkh every couple of days to dosing up to 2dkh per day over the course of just a few weeks really was tough on my system (and me) because I missed testing a few days in a row and my params just dropped like a rock. Then I had to scramble to get things stable again. If you can, I would spread your additions out over a period of time, a few here, a few there.

Not only will it be easier on your system but I think you will end up with coral that you like better by not just emptying out a quarter of the LFS in one go. It's easy to just grab everything that looks cool at the moment and then soon enough you realize you're out of money and/or space. :)

If your SPS are growing slow under T5's, unless you have a low end fixture and bulbs I would be more concerned about figuring out why that is the case. Good T5's have more than enough power for SPS to thrive in a 30g. Throwing $400 worth of SPS into a system that is not growing SPS particularly fast right now might mean you end up with $400 worth of coral skeletons in a few weeks or months.

Anyways, have fun, exciting times!

4. bama

bama Humpback Whale

This is definitly something to think about..

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I am heading to the LFS. So pictures when they are out of their bags later..