What SPS to buy tomorrow.. Opinions Please!!!

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by bama, Dec 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I'm with everyone else. Take your time and don't spend it all at once. I brought home over 30 different coral bags one day for my 30. When you put in that many at once it can be a bit overwhelming. I couldn't tell you how many of them died off or got knocked behind the rocks by snails, because I couldn't keep track of so many at once. It's better to really like one coral, bring it home and be able to focus on getting that single coral in perfect shape.

That said, I agree with ocean. The hairy SPS looks sweet swaying in your tank. Millipora is one species that I really love in my tank, and it grows like a weed once established.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

thank you all for the answers. I for one will only buy stuff that I really love, but then again, I love most all of them so its just hard, lol..

I just have been saving and know right now is a good time for me to get some stuff that I like and have been wanting to buy. Also, I want to get some good stuff now, because after the new years, my 75 gallon is going up and I want to fill it up with some corals. Im not buying any fish, as I already have 3 that I really like and am very happy with.

As for online shopping, I have looked a lot but I really like to see it in person before I buy, I have always been this way.

K+ people..

4. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

A nice purple rimmed monti and a pink birdsnest

1 person likes this.
  5. StrainedSky

StrainedSky Spaghetti Worm

Red Planet :)

1 person likes this.
  6. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

I really like stag horns, milli's, bottle brushes, any tabling arco, tri colors, sunset monti, and the list goes on and on. I would check out RC's selling section (if you have over 50 posts there). I hate recommending people go to another forum, but some of the SPS packs I see there are really amazing and usually half the price, even considering shipping costs, than most nice coral stores.

~Will.

7. brannock_16

brannock_16 Ritteri Anemone

I really like my Tri Color Birdsnest, it's quite colorful. I also have a Idaho Grape LE that is quite awesome.

8. Click Here!

9. bama

bama Humpback Whale

They have a pink birdsnest for $60 that they are saving for me that they claim is the size of my fist, so we shall see.. hopefully its true..

10. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

fwiw.... birdsnest is a quick grower. My tank is full of frags cause I didnt want to drop crazy $$$$ on colonies and too hard to find colonies on most of the frags I have. you can get a nice $20 frag and it will be the size of your fist in no time.

11. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I wish that were the case, but my frags grow slow for now under my T5s.. When I set up the 75 ill most likely have 2X 250 watt MH.. if not that then 175s.. I want something that will be fine until I set up the new tank and then just go crazy when I go big.. I plan on an SPS dominated tank.. Especially the fuzzy ones like MikeJrice.. they are my favorite..

12. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

thats cool... definitely go with 250's for an "sps dominated ::)" tank. of course the height of the tank will play a factor....

I initially thought I was gonna have an sps dominated tank but then I took a different course of action with lps. Lots of really nice lps out there. Now Ive gone "strictly stony" ;D.

Another good suggestion is about 90% of the ORA corals are awesome. some of em are the same as the non ORA version