What should I use?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Iheartcoral, Jan 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iheartcoral

Iheartcoral Astrea Snail

Is there a website were I can purchase phyto 2?

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

You don't need to feed phyto unless you have Non Photosynthetic corals. There is absolutely no need to put DT's or any other substance like this in your tank. Clams do not eat this stuff as they depend on light for their nutrition. Even ORA recommends not feeding their maricultured clams. I have seen many beautiful clams that were raised on light alone. I would stop using this stuff all together.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Obviously I was clueless that you were talking about food and I was thinking it was additives - DOH! I was even impressed with my answer LOL

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Did you say what you keep, and what you're trying to feed with it?

I"m keeping many corals- healthy too, and I don't feed them anything special.

Just whats in the water column, and fish poop. Oh, I do turn over my big chaeto mass in my sump at night when the LPS tentales are open.

I do spot feed my nems aobut once a week with pellets

Check it out, 2:32 sec vid in my sig

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

What live phyto does for your tank is feed any filter feeders (mollusks, etc), but the REAL benefit is that is feeds zooplankton (pods, rotifers, etc), and zooplankton is really what your corals feed on.

It also benefits the tank by feeding on ammonia and nitrates while it's still in the water column.

Is it NECESSARY? No, is it a benefit? Yes, IMHO. It's all how you want to keep your tank.

Todd,

I used to shake out the chaeto in my DT when I pruned it...same idea in getting the pods out of it.