What should I use?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Iheartcoral, Jan 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iheartcoral

Iheartcoral Astrea Snail

I'm currently using DT'S every other day and reef trace and plus twice a week, I was looking at purchasing kent phytoplex and I was also looking at brightwell zooplankto-m should I add these in addition to the supplements I'm currently using. Any thoughts would help

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

If you do regular water changes, you shouldn't need to add trace elements. What is phytoplex? I know I've learned on here, don't add if you can't test....you really only need to monitor salinity, calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium for a reef tank....Also, which Dr. Tim's (I assume that's DT?) are you using and for what purpose....you also need to monitor phosphate but I doubt anyone would ever want to add phosphate to a tank :)

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Some corals may benefit from the plankton, but you'll want to use it sparingly to prevent nutrient build-up. As for the trace and plus elements, you should not dose them. You don't even know what all is in them, and therefore cannot test to ensure you're not crashing your tank.

5. Iheartcoral

Iheartcoral Astrea Snail

DT'S is a premium reef blend of live marine phytoplankton I started using it because the place recommended it when I bought my clam, are you familiar with this product and am I wasting my money by using it? ( the clam has since passed).

6. Iheartcoral

Iheartcoral Astrea Snail

Sorry I'm new to this forum stuff, I post a reply. Thanks for the help

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have never used phyto to feed my clams and they are doing well. Sorry to hear yours did not make it.

8. Click Here!

9. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

DT's wouldn't be my #1 choice...have you ever smelled it? They also used a FW species as "filler" to get their cell count up. Also, I dunno if it's true, but I heard that Dennis went out of business.

I'd use either Phyto 2 or Reef Nutrition. Try not to use any Nannochloropsis products as the Nanno has a super-thick cell wall that makes it virtually indigestable to most critters. Tetraselmus or Isocrysis are much better and have more complete nutritional profiles.

Kent phytoplex is a dead cell preparation IIRC.

10. Iheartcoral

Iheartcoral Astrea Snail

Thank you for the info, DT'S is on the high end of price it $50 for a 30oz bottle. I will look into getting one of the two you recommended, and how should I look for tetraselmus or isocrysis?

11. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

What about Area 51 phyto?

12. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I don't know if Reef Nutrition sells "single species" preparations, but Phyto 2 does. Most good preparations will give you a breakdown.

Gresham works for Randy Reed (Reef Nutrition) so you can give him a holler if he doesn't pop in.

As for Area 51...I just peeked at their FB account, and it seems OK, but I have no firsthand experience with them. They do have a nice little explanation about Phyto.