What should I feed my Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Zimmy71, Mar 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zimmy71

Zimmy71 Bristle Worm

Right now Im feeding my fish frozen mysis and seaweed. My fish cant get enough and are bleeping pigs. My question is should I introduce new foods such as live brine, frozen squid, and bloodworms to their diet? I know with my dogs i only feed them dry food but i know if i introduce wet food they will not go back without a fight, i dont want that to happen to my fish.

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

ha they always have a preference to a specific food... but will always eat whatever is put in the tank

1 person likes this.
  4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

make sure to rinse your frozen cubes in case you haven't been, it will save you headaches later from algae/slime outbreaks. I'm dealing with a red slime problem right now most likely from not rinsing for the past 5 months. Use RO/DI water if you can, if not, just run the cubes under a strainer with tap water and feed once defrosted.

variety is always good when feeding your fish, I feed once every other day to keep less garbage/buildup in the tank. They will eat whatever you give them if they're hungry. It may take a bit to get them to eat flake but you can definitely mix it up without a prob.

what type of fish in the tank?

5. slocal

slocal Doot!

I'm still a Rod's Food advocate. It's a great frozen food for lazy people like me since it will feed my whole tank (fish and corals) and it doesn't need rinsing.

1 person likes this.
  6. Zimmy71

Zimmy71 Bristle Worm

1 hippo, 2 percs, bi color blenny, pygmy angel, engineer goby. I put some water in a cup from the tank and let the cubes defrost. I usually feed 2 cubes and some nori every other day. I starting to get concerned because if I dont feed everyday my pygmy begins to nip at some of my corals.

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I did the same thing with dilluting the cubes in tank water. However, the frozen water those food are pre-packed with are not good for the tank. I ended up buying a tea strainer and have been rinsing and feeding every other day with it. It's an easy step that will save you algae/slime headaches in the long run.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. booge1969

booge1969 Flamingo Tongue

omg i didn't think about rinsing them first maybe that is why im having algae issues in my nano.

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

It's absolutely possible that is why. One thing I noticed is that when I used to dillute the cubes, when they were defrosted, the water in the cup would be yellow/brown. Now that I rinse and then put the defrosted in a cup of just tank water, it's crystal clear. It really should have tipped me off to show how dirty that pre-frozen water is.

11. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Ya the water they are frozen in is usually loaded with phosphates, which we all know algae loves. :)

And +1 to Rods food. It has all the variety they need. And it doesn't need to be rinsed. Great stuff if you can get it.

1 person likes this.