what s happening to my toodstool?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Marie0912, Mar 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marie0912

Marie0912 Fire Shrimp

Hello,
    I have my toodstool for 7 months now and its looking good and this morning I look in my tank and see the hole in my toodstool. What happening. When lights are on you cant see it because the heads expend bigger.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Did this hole just appear over night or could it have been missed?

A couple things come to mind. Toad stools will self propagate in this manner. Some types of nudibranchs feed on leathers, but they usually do not burrow enough to make a hole.

What I would do is take a turkey baster and blow some flow into the hole and see if a dust like material comes out.

The toad stool may close for awhile but these types of issues usually do not result in their demise as long as a bacterial infection does not set in.

I really can not see much in the image.

4. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Can you take a better picture? Looks to be splitting as Corailline said they do from time to time. Usually they move along a rock base and leave sections of their foot behind to propagate.

5. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Does it look like this? If so I wouldnt worry I think its just self propagation. Mine got too big to fit in the space it was in and then these holes started appearing in the creases. There is polyp extension on the edges of the holes so I dont think is anything worry about. But thats only if it looks like this. If not then you may need a better picture so we can see.

[​IMG]

6. Marie0912

Marie0912 Fire Shrimp

I don't think it happen overnight, but im surprise i miss it because I am always looking at my tank, The hole can only be seen from the side, so when the lights come on I will try to take a better pics but the head gets bigger so it will be difficult. The hoe appears to be clean and smooth and after looking at it more the crown seems to start splitting. when I first got the toodstool it did move and left a trail and I was looking to see if it would leave babies but it fouled me. Thanks for the reply and will try to take better pics

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I say it is splitting. It may seem to happen over night but it was probably like a thin razor cut to begin with, which you wouldn't see and now it is getting ready to complete the split. Pretty cool!

8. Click Here!

9. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

I've had one do this. I agree it's splitting. Toadstools usually rot when they die. Doesn't look like any brown spots are on it. I've also had toadstools that grow new ones from the bottom just sprout out another stalk

10. Marie0912

Marie0912 Fire Shrimp

I try to take a picture when the lights are on but the toodstool straighten out so I can't see it. Thanks for everyones help, ill keep you posted