What other kind of foods can I feed my Betta fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Janice, Dec 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Janice

Janice Plankton

Hi friends,
    I just got a couple of Betta fish as a gift form my aunt, so I really want to take care of tem. Especially want to feed them proper food. Any useful thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

As in a Freshwater betta splendons ?

If so the betta pellets as a staple with occasional flake pinch.. They don't need a lot of food by anymeans. believe most of the betta pellets are meant to be a single pellet feeding. The marine flake will do as a treat/change vs. buying addition standard FW flake for just one fish.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well in the rice paddies of Thailand there natural food is mosquito larvae. In Florida we have plenty of that. My advice is to go get either a good pellet food for him or flake food or both. When he is eating that you could supplement with either live brine shrimp or frozen. I would get him eating the pellets first. Also DO NOT OVERFEED him.Feed him 6 days a week and give him one day off to clean his system out. Also they LOVE worms!! But I don't suggest those because they can carry alot of bad stuff into your tank. Hope this helps!!Enjoy them they are great fish and fascinating to watch spawn.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  5. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

I used to have 5 in my office, in 1 gallon "bowls" that pieced together like a puzzle, so they could see each other but not kill each other. I changed the water once a week using chlorine remover/water conditioner (keep a cup to put them in while changing the water, or keep an extra bowl so you can just clean one at a time, moving them, and have one empty). I fed mine a food called Betta Bites, very small pellets, about 3 a day. They liked them better than the bigger pellets.

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

out of curiosity i fed my friend's betta frozen mysis, he loved it just make sure the peices are small.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Blood worms are excellent for a change of pace also. Just get the freeze dried ones so you can control the amount fed more easily.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

I never had any luck with these fish eating freeze dryed worms but you can try. Variety is the spice of life. Or something like that.;D What about you Sushi?

10. Kllrfsh

Kllrfsh Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I like to feed tiny bits of nori (think flake size) and occasionally frozen brine shrimp to my daughter's betta. I just figure if I was in there, eating the pellets all the time would bore me even more (but the fish does have a good view of the TV)...

The key is, as stated above by many, not to overfeed.

Cheers and welcome to your new additions!

11. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Sorry, lost this thread somehow!
    I never tried freeze-dried food with mine. I hate freeze-dried food. All it does is float around and nothing eats it LOL.
    I bet they would love bloodworms though.

12. Vinnyboombatz

I know they liked tubiflex worms back in the day but talk about gross. Anything harvested in a sewer I try to stay away from.;)