Unresolved What On Earth...(Its Spreading!! 14/Feb/11)

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by PetMother, Jan 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

So whatever this thing is... its SPREADING!!!!!! Its on the same rock but its spreading all over it!! Its white as snow, thin layer and what i can only describe as looking like papilla. It kinda flows with the current as well. I've seen nothing like it before.

2. Click Here!

3. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

what invertebrates do you have and if you have them have you seen any of them go near it.. I am just curious if its some type of algae and if you have hermits or emeralds if they are eating it or anything. Can you get an updated picture?.. because you said it has grown.

Also.. if you have fish how have they interacted with it.. because if it was algae or some type of worms some fish would def. eat it. I saw my two clowns find a spaghetti worm once and they went crazy.

If your invertabrates or fish havent interacted with it at all then i'd say it is prob. just some type of sponge. Most sponges are harmless some of them just look bad. I had one that was white and had tube like extensions grow over my green star polyps. I took out the rock and did an iodine dip and then took a toothbrush and scrubbed the sponge off. It didnt end up working and the GSP's ended up in the trash.

4. PetMother

Its still hard to see as it doesn't want to come out of the shade. My fish don't interact with it at all and it doesn't seem to bother anything but its rock. Strangest thing I have seen though. :confused: If I can get a clearer picture of it I will. :)

5. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

yea just let me know when you get a good pic

6. PetMother

Well I got a better look at it today (spread some) and it looks like to be a sponge of some sort. It seems to be structures and the "tubes" are hallow. Looks cool when I looked at it closely. :)