What on earth is this on my live rock??

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by nedlin, Jan 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nedlin

nedlin Plankton

Hi, Im a Noob, just bought some cured live rock and and found something on it, but have no idea what it is. Any comments or suggestions would be appreaciated!
    I have attached a slightly blurry photo. The bit in question is at the bottom apex of the live rock in the middle. It is a light colour with a clam like mouth, which opens slightly then closes again. Would love to know what it is!!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

pic is to blurry.. i dont see what your talking about. hopefully someone will.. meanwhile this will bump your question.

4. eddy38

eddy38 Spaghetti Worm

I just brought home a piece of green star polyp and one crawled out of it and I don't know what it is either. I will be watching your post to see if anyone can identify it!!

5. somethingfish85

somethingfish85 Skunk Shrimp

from what i can see it just looks like some sort of bivalve, nothing to really worry about but a better pic will help with a positive id

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

i don't see anything... too blurry... try again please.

7. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

even blurry it is a bi-valve. nothing to worry about. leave it be, it is a small filter feeder and very harmless.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I concur with this statement. The only thing that I can say from your post is that if it looks like a clam, then it maybe a clam.

luna

10. nedlin

nedlin Plankton

Hi again guys, thanks for your prompt replies. Apologies on the blurry photo. (crappy Iphone Camera!) I have re-attached the pic. It is currently pretty much closed over, but the mouth bit seems to stretch out longways then slightly open (like a smiling mouth). Hope this helps to id it! :)

Attached Files:

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Still hard to tell b/c it blends with the LR, but its either a clam or a sponge.

luna

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

i think it is a clam.