what material for reflector

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by sompa, Apr 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

DIY! DIY! DIY! I used stainless and polished it up. Looks great! I don't think the angles are that important as long as it's angles into the tank :p If it's too much though then you'll get too much of a spot light effect.

2. Click Here!

3. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

i used aluminum flashing and use a polishing compound. its like a stick you can get it at your hardware store and use a buffing wheel. mine is like a fricking mirror. i was actually supprised that it turned out as good as it did, and then get a long 1in pvc tube as long as your reflector is and hand roll the edges up to the way you want it and it does a great job.

4. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

you don't want a mirror finish, you'll end up with hot spots. Otherwise you could just use mirrors.

You can get stand alone reflectors that you mount in a DIY cabinet/canopy, that's about the best way to go.

Specular Finished Aluminum is what you really want if it has to be DIY. The specular side will have a plastic film on it, don't remove till the entire thing is done. Scratches throw light around at odd angles. You'll also have to consider the angles of all your bends. A simple hood looks sort of like a rounded upside down W (as opposed to an M with straight edges) or a butt. Avoid parabolic angles, or anything that would focus the light... again you don't need to boil a little area of the tank, but rather throw light around in a controlled manner. The angles on commercial reflectors are not arbitrary, they're engineered, tweaked, and tested 10,000,000 times a minute by a computer until ideal numbers start to show up.

Mylar is aluminum sprayed on plastic, it will melt if it's within a few inches of the bulb.

Also, bright white flat enamel paint is about 95% reflective, specular aluminum is about 98%, so a good white paint will work in a pinch.

-Doug