what likes t5s

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by ziggy222, Jun 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

just to update.the pavona or cactus coral has started growing a 3rd branch so i guess its happy,it alsi turned from gold to peach in color.the green monti cap has grown also,starting to grow an extra disc in 2 places and is now back to its green color.i've decided not to grow acro though.i think i may be just shy of keeping an acro with nice color with my lighting.besides,i have lps and alot of softies that may not do well with too much sps.

2. Click Here!

3. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

looks like t5 is better than i thought.i've since added a crocea clam,hydnopora,superman monti,red monti,also some type of yellow/green coral in the monti family that has polyps and also sweeper tenticles,blue and also watermellon chinophylia,blastos,and many zoos.everything i added is doing well and growing nicely.i would not hesitate to put an acro in it if i liked it and had room.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

You can grow ANYTHING and keep anything with T5HO's. Its just I wouldnt put any light demanding corals or clams no more then 20"s.

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

your prolbably right about that.i would'nt know cause my tanks only 18 inches deep without the sand.

6. NATIVEVAMAN

NATIVEVAMAN Astrea Snail

According to a guy at UVL there t5 vho bulbs will provide sufficient light down to 29 inch's for anything youy want to keep.

7. msbdiving

msbdiving Astrea Snail

Hey native, I think you posted a pic of a tank in Germany that had t-5's that was just amazing and stocked with a variety of corals.

8. Click Here!

9. NATIVEVAMAN

NATIVEVAMAN Astrea Snail

I didnt post but I saw it,now I here there is a video of it on u tube.But it sure is a gorgeous tank.

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I posted a link awhile back about a 110g SPS tank running 8x54w T5HO's.

11. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

I agree....another thing is u can usually get away with certain things like insufficient lighting...if other things like water quality,flow,temp,sal,and all the above are in check. But for the sake of the animals we should give them what they want and not tease them....i know when i'm thirsty i dont like a dixie cups worth of water.:tongue4:

12. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

one downfall i have with t5's is there is usually a time period of adjustment for the corals because almost no lfs use t5.most use vho or mh.after they adjust though they usually look better than the stores corals.the adjustment period is way worse on my daughters tank with her LED lights i wish i would have got her pc instead.they don't make t5 small enough for her tank.