what likes t5s

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by ziggy222, Jun 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

wow i did'nt expext such a responce.thank you guys.i posted this on rc and they removed it after 1 day.now i know to replace the bulbs at 1 yr ,thanks for that info. too.

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Ziggy222, why did they remove your thread?
    that isn't to nice...what, do they only keep threads that a certain amount of people reply to...what kind or site are they trying to portray?
    We here at 3reef are here to help each other and work towards achieving a few common goals and those are to be successful with our tank(s), to be conscientous about the reefs/living organisms of the world and the preservation of them , to learn and have some fun and enjoy the salt hobby IMO!
    As for the bulbs, the closerto te blue/ultra-violet end of the spectrum, the sooner the bulbs will need to be replaced!

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

idk,some sites seem geared more towards sponsers.notice i bought mine from a plant hydroponix store in order to cut costs in half,rather than ordering one from reefwhatever.com.of cource the bulbs had to be replaced with 10,oook and actinics.you know,theres no need to pay tons of money for a t5.a wh ballast is $30,about a buck a peace for sockets.plant hydroponix stores have the reflectors for a 3rd of the cost and the bulbs of course.no fans needed,they don't get hot.i bought mine with a dent in it already put together for $150 plus bulbs.anyway i'm glad to see what other people are keeping under their lights.

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

ok i just got back from the lfs and they said if i try acro that it may turn brown or dull without mh.they told me to try montipora 1st an see what happens.i'm still going to try an acro if i find a tiny peace for like $10.i still want my tank to be softies and lps,but i can't help but try an sps.oh and coral reefer,i see your comments all over the forums and you reelly seem to know your stuff.where'd you learn all your stuff?

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Well ziggy222, it isn't easy as usually the things you like in life are hard and come with a price. Some failures and some peaks as well...The thing to do is learn from your mistakes, so that they don't happen again!
    I started out just like you, and my fascination, drive and desire to be as knowledgeable and comfortable as I can to allow me to learn many of the fascets that are symbiotic and coexist with a reef tank. Reading and researching is ideal as well as this wonderful site here at 3reef.
    DON'T HESSITATE TO CALL ME OR THREAD AND POST HERE AT 3REEF! wE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU EACH IN THEIR OWN DISTINCT WAY...YOU REALLY CAN'T GO WRONG HERE AND WE ARE NOT HERE TO SEE YOU FAIL BUT TO ENJOY THE HOBBY AND LEARN ALONG THE JOURNEY TO THE IDEAL TANK,THAT YOU AND ALL OF US CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONQUER!;)

7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

ok curiosity got the best of me and i had to see if sps would make it.i almost got the acro last night but last minute picked up a green montipora about an inch arround for $18.i put it halfway up the tank and it lost some green by morning but i figure its stressed an i'll see what it does over the next cpl days.

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

the greens coming back so i guess i just stressed the monti out and its going to do fine.i may try acro in a month or so.i 1st need to study up more on water chemestry.i still don't understand the Relationship Between
    Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH.i've read some things and am not getting it.most of the stuff i've read are so boring my mind just wonders off.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: I feel your pain!

11. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

well an update on the monti cap is that the green color came back and i've noticed some growth.i told myself no more sps but i saw some yellow stuff called pavona,or cactus coral so i picked that up two.its also doing quite well.i hope this is helping other new t5 users and i'd love to here successes and failiors of other t5 lighted tanks.

12. oceanlife_2007

oceanlife_2007 Astrea Snail

light

i have the nova extreme t5 x8 bulbs and i have some sps and a tone of lps and zoos and the grow relly fast my sps frags grow at a slow rate then in my metal headline tank but not much slower alot of people told me to keep my sps at the top but i just tryed one acro at the bottom and it grows about the same rate. this is in a 55 gal but my zoos took a little while to get use to the light but when they did they grew at a rapid pase and spred like weeds.