what led to use

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by skyvern2130, Sep 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

well i dont want to grown coral just yet. right now im more of getting the best color out of my fish and getting the tank ready for future coral growth. any easy (an some what cheap or inexpensive) DIY type of led projects with a step by step would be nice

2. Click Here!

3. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Rapid LEDs are something to look into.. You can always have space to upgrade this fixture.

4. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

What size tank? Do you wish to use a canopy?

5. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Size tank is 55, and would like to build a canopy

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

There are many inexspensive fixtures available on ebay that would fit your tank and be suitable for a fish only setup.Maybe one of those could get you by while you build a canopy and DIY light for corals.If you would like to go this route rapidled is a good company to deal with based on what I've read.

7. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

i was looking at rapidled so i might try them, is there like a rule of thump to how many leds should be on a strip and what colors should go on them for coral cause i do wana set it up as a coral tank in the near future

8. Click Here!

9. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I have two Taotronic fixtures (120w) over my 125. They work great and the corals love them, not dimable but the two cost only 320$ for me.

10. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Yeah a lot of people have reported good reviews on these fixtures as well as the ones availible at reefbreeders.com if you want to go that way they could be suspended inside a canopy.If you would like to build your own you can contact rapidled and I'm sure they would give you reccomendations and a ballpark figure for the cost.Both rapidled and reefbreeders are sponsers of this forum you can click on sponsors at the top of home page to access the sites.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012