What kind of wood? - Stand Build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by sticksmith23, Jul 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I started this build last friday (August 5th), and I still only have one side on it. The 3 kiddos I have under 3.5 years old are really demanding on my time lol, and this is just a hobby. I only work on my stand in the back yard when they are out there playing.

I'm using 1/2" plywood along with the 2x4's. What really sucks is that I only have a drill, hack saw, and a cheap jig saw to build this with. Thankfully, the last person that lived in this house left plenty of wood screws and decking screws.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This my stand as of today. Still has a lot of work left.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

do you plan on loading anything on that shelf? It is going to only be technically held by screws and i wouldnt plan on putting anything too heavy on the middle shelf. Also, for your joints at the top, its good you used bracing to limit any shear movement. However, the only flaw im seeing is that the top 2x4s do not rest ontop of the vertical 2x4s. This is not a huge deal since you have the plywood to evenly distribute the weight however IMO just for ease of mind like i did on my tank, I would consider putting another few vertical 2x4s running the height of the tank underneath the top horizontal 2x4 so that you would never have any vertical loading issues.

1 person likes this.
  5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is a very good point. Of course the stand isn't 100% complete, but that is also why I posted some pics. Now my wife wants my tank in the living room instead of the bedroom, so I have some more height restrictions now so she can hang pictures above it still lol. ::) Now that you mention it, I will put some vertical 2x4's to support those boards you were talking about. I also only plan on using the middle shelf for dry goods storage, so I don't have any weight restrictions really with that.

6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Sounds great, it definately looks good though. What size tank will it be again? and how long? I put a vertical 2x4 in the middle of my stand, severly reduces my ability to have a sump, however I have 3 vertical 2x4s in each corner of my stand (yes i said 3 hahaha i way overbuilt it) so i should be able to one day remove the vertical 2x4 if i wanted to and put a sump/plumbing in. Cant wait to see this thing up and running!!!! keep postin pics, its the best way to get advice ! ;D

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

It will be a 40 breeder. Something along the lines of 36" long. I do plan on having a sump one day, but anytime real soon. I was thinking of putting a vertical 2x4 at least in the back, of course I would have to split because of the shelf that I put in. I might put one in the front and make it easily removable. I haven't really decided on that yet though.

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I had to redo the stand according to my wife, so this is what I did:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then of course I had to move the bottom up about 3 inches so that it could have legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's almost done, but it seems like everytime I do something on it, she doesn't like it, lol. ::) I just have to put some trim along the bottom, the front two sides and eventually buy wood for the doors.