What kind of wood? - Stand Build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by sticksmith23, Jul 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Wow, a lot of great advice. Thank you all so much. I am more comfortable now just using regular 2x4s like I originally wanted to. I'm going to let my wife decide what kind of wood to use around the frame. I'm sure it will cherry or oak, either way it will look really nice.

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Take pics during the build. Plus its a great reference point to go back when there is a problem or you need to know where you placed a screw or board. ;)

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I will make sure to take plenty of pics when I start building the stand. I just have to wait to get a little more money and time on my hands. I would also like to paint the back glass first as well. I am thinking of going with black currently to hide all of the unsightly stuff that hangs behind the tank.

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I am thinking of using these 2x4's for the frame of my stand, 2 x 4 x 8 Premium Kiln Dried Whitewood Stud - 161640 at The Home Depot What does everyone think?

I'm thinking about using this plywood 1/4 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. Red Oak Domestic Plywood - 165948 at The Home Depot for the outside of the stand. What does everyone think of this?

This is a very basic idea of what I have in mind for the frame work for a 40 gallon breeder. I'm open to ideas and suggestions for any changes that could/should be made.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. ComputerJohn

Looks fine. Just remember to glue and screw. Very important, you want the top 2x4 resting on the legs of the structure. That way the weight is on the boards and not the joints.

I can make you a quick drawing if need be.

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That would be awesome if you really don't mind! I've never built anything myself that will hold this much weight. On top of having the DT, I also want to put at least a 20L for a sump eventually below the DT.

8. Click Here!

9. threephase37

threephase37 Fire Worm

I glued and screwed regular pine 2x4's when I built mine. I doubled all the upright post which became a 3x3-1/2 post, placed 4 across the front and 4 across the back which includes the corner post. Placed a 2x6 on the bottom for a lip and stability, placed a 2x4 around the top then added 3/4 plywood on top of that. I cut all top and bottom boards on a 45 miter so all cornors rested on a up right somewhere. Then I braced in multiple directions inside the up rights so it couldnt move no matter what, you could drive a car on my stand !!! I just took 1/2 mdf for the skin and painted it black.
    It took me 13- 2x4x8's and 125.00 but its not going anywhere.

1 person likes this.
  10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Wow, that does seem like it would be really sturdy. That stand has to be really heavy as well. What size tank do you have? I'm still in the planning stages obviously, but I do only want to have to build this stand once and I want to make sure that it will accommodate all future needs that may arise.

Thank you very much for your input.

11. ComputerJohn

OMG man how big is your tank?? LOL

12. threephase37

threephase37 Fire Worm

75g but not going anywhere lol just make sure you use decking screws, the acid in the wood wont break them down and far stronger.