What Kind Of Tank Is Best?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Bruce, Apr 27, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What kind is best?

1. Fresh Water Tank

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Reef Tank (Fish , Coral and Inverts)

22 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. FO (Fish Only)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Species Tank

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Touch Tank

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

what is ur fav!

2. Click Here!

3. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

If you're talking plexiglass vs. glass then it depends on the use. For reef I go glass all the way. It's way too easy to scratch plexi with all the edges on live rock... not to mention the scraper you use to clean the glass. For fish only, I still go glass, though if a perfect plexi tank came up I would consider it.

If you're talking brands then, by far, my favorite is Oceanic. Extra seals, beveled glass edges, nice overflow boxes built in and the ability to have one custom made to your specifications (done that twice now). And it may be my imagination, but I think the glass looks better (clearer). They make an excellent product.

If you're talking reef vs. fish only vs. fish only with LR, etc. then, again by far, reef is it. It's funny how many times people talk to me about how hard it is to keep a saltwater tank, much less a reef tank. I find it very simple to do so and my tanks very light on the maintenance side of things. I live in Florida and the hard water here makes fresh water tank maintenance a pain. Fish only SW tanks have issues with nitrate build up. My reef tanks pretty much take care of themselves. The bottom line is that it comes down to two fundamental pieces that are required for keeping a successful reef tank: knowledge and money. If you skimp in the wrong places on either of those two aspects and you will likely have some issues.

Darren

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

lol yup reef (imo) is the best but hey some people like the other types, im makeing a touch tank for the marion bio lab, i got some pond tubes and im putting cement around it to make it like sea world lol...so the kids can lean on it and it will be ok

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I think reefs look most natural and are more self sustaining, in addition to the variety that can be included of living creatures.;D

Touch tanks, a close second! Not only does my daughter love them, but so do I! Just not practical in the home. However, my kiddo and I both put our arms in the tank for the fire shrimp to clean! tickles! LOL

I have also seen some excellent freshwater natural setups with plants and such that are quite attractive;D