What kind of rock do you have?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What kind of rock do you have?

1. Fiji

54.4%
  2. Caribbean

7.8%
  3. Melanesian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Indonesian

2.2%
  5. Tonga

5.6%
  6. Marshall

1.1%
  7. Namoli

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Bali Alor

1.1%
  9. Vanuatu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Marco

4.4%
  11. Pukani

4.4%
  12. Florida

8.9%
  13. DIY

1.1%
  14. Other

8.9%
  1. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

fiji. cuz it looks the nicest (imo) and its what i was told was the best by my lfs when i was new to the hobby :p. if i started a new tank i would try for a DIY back wall with rock-work and 50/50 fiji and DIY for the rest of tank. but the price for fiji can kiss my bum bum. im sry its late and im tired.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

patrick, is the bball you refer to a basketball or a baseball? :)

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I'm afraid I can't address the poll, Matt. Honestly I don't know what/if there's a name for my LR. I've had a good bit of it for probably 10 years or so. The 30 or so lbs. I've recently bought looks kinda like the "Florida rock" sold by John Maloney at ReefCleaners, but I think the rock in FL probably doesn't know where it's from. :) I can't see it looking much different than other geographical areas without geological reason.

Without getting nitpicky--I'm certain there's a reason that Fiji rock is elongated and has that "finger" quality to it, but most other live rock looks similar to everything else to me.

I think I've got that everything else type. It's porous, relatively light, and does the trick.

5. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

Since I relocated to Spain, I had to go with what is available here and that is indonesian live rock... but compared to the Fiji that I had before, I am very happy with it. After 8 weeks of cycling already showing beautiful colors...

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well I ended up going with 50% Fiji and 50% Indo from my LFS trip yesterday. See attached. I would have gone with all Fiji at half the price of Indonesian but they did not have enough left. Very happy though with all.

Attached Files:

7. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I won't lie. I had a micro-bout of dyslexia and I thought this thread was titled "What kind of RACK do you have?" :eek:

Mine is Fiji I think. The original stuff I got 8 years ago was probably that and being that it's so common the rest that I have bought over the years is sure to be Fiji as well.

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I don't even know all the kinds of rock I have. I just bought almost 30lbs for my Biocube of what my LFS had labeled as Timor I believe. The rock in my 90 is from all over the place from many different people. Im not sure what all is in I know I bought a rock or two of Bali but I honestly couldnt tell you which rock it was that I had bought lol.

edit: Just relized how ugly the pic I chose for my 90 looks lol. But you get the idea.

Attached Files:

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'm like reef sparky I have some of everything but its all been bleached and kill off all living things in and on it then stored away until I need it. I would never places a hunk of rock from someone else's system into my tank with out it going through a few months to allow what ever in or on it is dead and gone be it a pest or disease . I mean how would you know if it had some acro eating bugs or the Monti eating nudi's ? or a killer crab or shrimp and or a Ich even . LOL

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

have pukani in my 90 now, fills the volume of the tank, has TONS of hidey holes for critters and mounting points for frag plates

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

thats some very nice rock you got matt