What kind of lighting do I really need...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by tinydove, Feb 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. szaijan

szaijan Astrea Snail

I am starting a 47 gal. bow front All-Glass semi-reef tank and need new lighting. I'm going for a "semi" reef tank with about 50 lbs. of live rock and the rest open water for fish.

I currently have an All-Glass 36" hood with 2 36 in. 30W flourescents.

Mu budget is less than $300.00 for lights and ideally they'd go into my existing hood. I do not want to hang lights or suspend them higher than a hood will allow. What are my best lighting options within these parameters? How will this restrict my coral and anemone options? Will my Live Rock invertebrates be stunted?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. Click Here!

3. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

If the tank does not have a center brace than you could use a Coralvue 250 watt retro kit with a 14K bulb. That would eliminate the need for actinics. The kit with the 3reef member discounts is $187 and includes everything you need!

4. szaijan

szaijan Astrea Snail

[quote author=captivereefs link=board=Newbie;num=1077367476;start=45#51 date=06/17/04 at 19:43:57]If the tank does not have a center brace than you could use a Coralvue 250 watt retro kit with a 14K bulb. That would eliminate the need for actinics. The kit with the 3reef member discounts is $187 and includes everything you need![/quote]

Thanks. There is a flimsy plastic center "brace" built into the plastic cap assembly. Is that the 4 bulb T-5 Retro Kit? The item does not describe the bulbs it uses.

Checking out the Captive Reef site, I'm considering the Coralife Aqualight w/the 96 Watt 03 Actinic and 96W 10,000k dual lamps. Would this suffice?

5. captivereefs

It is part #LT-CV250RK On my site. If you have a center brace than you would need 2 of them. You could do a 48" T-5 retro kit if you wanted they are just as nice. They come with (2) actinics and (2) daylights.They are part #LT-CVT5RK4-4 and are $225 before your 6% discount. The measure 47 7/8 long x 9" wide. T-5's will work for most corals excet clams and SPS. To keep these you would need at least 8 bulbs. For softies, polyps and LPS 4 bulbs would be perfect!

6. captivereefs

Is you tank 36". sorry i thought it was 48"; sorry! The dual 96 watt hood will do an excellent job for all but SPS and clams! Coralife makes a greeat product; way better than the Current USA in my opinion. They also make one with moonlights built in.