What kind of lighting do I really need...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by tinydove, Feb 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. New2Reef

New2Reef Astrea Snail

Hi All,
    I'm finding this site very very helpful. I'm "New2Reef" and found it to be very enjoyable...although the initial cost is a hit in the pocket but the beauty and pleasure we get from vewing is worth the expense.
    We started with the basic formula of live rock and sand and have only added a few small pieces of coral...green star polops,litophyton and a small piece from the LFS as a freebie...sorry I forgot the name,we have about about 5 fish as well.
    I'm concerned about lghting,we put a Coralife Aqualight w/ dual fans 2x65w 10K 2x65w Actinic bulbs. My LFS suggested this type and said would perform all the duties we'll need in a light. The light is enclosed in a Oak canopy with an open back and dosent seemed to increase water temp at all. Was this a good purchase,and will it fullfill all my aquarium needs.
    Thank You.

2. Click Here!

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I have the 4x65 retro fit on my 55. Its the same set-up as yours with the same wattage. Only it is a retro-fit. It is made by coralife. I installed it in my canopy and added a fan to the side of my canopy to keep it cool. Any way, to cut to the chase it does fine, with anything I have ever needed it for.

4. williamstljz530

williamstljz530 Plankton

Oh I forgot this is with the glass top removed. If you still have your glass tops on it will decrease the light that reaches the aquarium from reflecting off the glass back to the bulbs.

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=williamstljz530 link=board=Newbie;num=1077367476;start=30#42 date=03/01/04 at 09:39:31] Oh I forgot this is with the glass top removed. If you still have your glass tops on it will decrease the light that reaches the aquarium from reflecting off the glass back to the bulbs.[/quote]

Good point

6. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

OK guys I have 400W MH on one side and one 48" regular fixture with 40W of actinic blue. I'm thinking of adding something on the other side
    I was thinking about 250W MH but for little more $, I can get another 400W
    would it be too much light ?

Attached Files:

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

10 watts per gallon is not too uncommon these days if you want a lot of hard corals.

If you go that route I hope you have a central air vent near the hood or a ton of fans and maybe a chiller. That's going to kick out the heat big time.

8. Click Here!

9. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

as you can see on the picture my canopy is totally open on the back and the bulb is about 16" above the water. I don't have any issue with heat for now and when I had and when I had no power for a day the temp fell like crazy

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Open will help, but assuming you leave the power on ;) 800 watts is 800 watts. As long as you plan for it, should be alright. Just stating the obvious, expect heat.

11. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

yep you're right you think that some fans would help couse I dont have anough budget for a chiller

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sure fans will help. Definitely should use them.

Frankly a 400w over a 75 is enough to have just about anything. If I were you, I'd probably just move that to the center, through some tubes on the sides to even it out and call it a day.

My 2 cents.