What kind of food for Anthias?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Beautemps, Jun 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. psionicdragon

psionicdragon Plankton

usually in the beginning, feed live brine and frozen cyclops. they are usually very timid and not used to flake and pellets yet.

2. Click Here!

3. Beautemps

Beautemps Bristle Worm

Thank you All.

All my Anthias are now eating cyclops but only the Tricolor is eating pellet and flake. Hopefully the others will follow..

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I'm a little late to chime in on this one, but I have 3 Bartlett's and feed them three times a day, and they are aggressive feeders. I feed a mix of PE mysis, frozen cyclopeeze, and selcon twice daily, and ocean nutrition formula 2 pellets once daily.

5. smoyer

smoyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

cyclops and reef plankton works well

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Anthias' are timid fish for the most part and some species are more hardy and suitable for a captive environment than others.
    Having said this, Anthias' require 3-5 feeding a day, much like Seahorses to thrive. Getting Anthias' to eat is another problem all together. Often times, it is best to feed small foodstuff such as cyclopeeze, Arcti-Pods, or possibly brine shrimp fry, though the later does not contain as much nutrition unless they still have their yolk sac intact. The shell of the shrimp may also reduce the likelihood of your Anthias from consuming brine shrimp.
    Try soaking your food in garlic and vitamin C/multivitamin supplement to entice your fish to eat and also offer more nutritional value, not only for your Anthias' but other livestock as well. Varying their diet is also beneficial!
    Good luck!

7. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Semi-pelagic? I've never heard that word before what does it mean?

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It means that in an effort to sound like a legitimate 3Reef member, a spammer by the name of Rosenber did a Google search on lyretail anthias and cut and paste whatever was at the top of his search results into his post. :)

Definition of pelagic:

pe·lag·ic (p-ljk)
    adj.
    Of, relating to, or living in open oceans or seas rather than waters adjacent to land or inland waters.

So, you can assume that semi-pelagic means that the fish split their time between the open ocean and inland.

10. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

My lyretail & barletts both eat small frozen pellets now that they are a little bit bigger. They both (and the purple queen I had RIP) go absolutely bonkers for oyster feast, frozen and freeze dried cyclop-eeze.

11. desperate1

desperate1 Plankton

anthias feeding

i have tried all the mentioned suggesstions. I have a 110 ten gallon high tank and all inhabitabts are doing well,except the three 1 male and two female lyertails do not actively eat. they mouth the offerings but never consume for the past three weeks. any help would be appreciated.

12. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Have you tried freeze-dried cyclopeze?