What kind of fish can eat algae while a tank is cycling?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by MaroonClownFish, Mar 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MaroonClownFish

MaroonClownFish Astrea Snail

Are there any saltwater fish (or whatever kind of critter) that can eat algae but still live while a tank is cycling?

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Do you really want to expose a fish to what, in human terms, would be a buildup of carbon monoxide suffocation and an ammonia burning sensation for the time your tank is cycling?

1 person likes this.
  4. slocal

slocal Doot!

Bingo.

Your algae blooms should be short lived in your tank after your cycle is complete. Once it's done, it's time to add a CUC, or Clean Up Crew, to take care of algae/diatoms. Patience.

5. MaroonClownFish

MaroonClownFish Astrea Snail

A simple "no" would have done the trick.

6. slocal

slocal Doot!

No need to get upset. Sometimes people need to hear the realities of saltwater tanks. It's no where near the forgiveness level of a freshwater tank. A cycling tank is a very harsh environment for any fish to be in.

People on here love their tanks and are very passionate about them. We want to see everyone succeed ;)

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

My post wasn't about answering your question. The answer is yes, some fish can go in there.

My post was about pointing out either a potential ignorance or carelessness about the livestock you plan on putting into the tank, and the conditions you plan to expose them to.

Just as a reference, during basic training, they take soldiers who use tear gas and put them into a room which is then filled with tear gas, where they are forced to stand for a minute or so. This is to let soldiers know what the weapons they're using actually do to people, so they don't get reckless about their use.

If you want to put something into your tank while it's going to have ammonia, I recommend you open a bottle of ammonia and breathe over it for a few minutes, just so you're somewhat aware of what you'll be doing to the fish you put in the tank.

It's much easier to make a decision when you know first hand exactly what that decision means to the living things around you.

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

you can cycle with the lights off, that will take care of it.

1 person likes this.
  10. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

k+ to John,great answer! That way,nothing dies....but your algea

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

You know I was thinking the same thing!

I agree with John turn off the lights, there really isnt any reason to have the lights on right now. Save yourself some money and wear on the bulbs.