What kind of algae is this?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by xdhendrix, Mar 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xdhendrix

xdhendrix Plankton

What kind of algae is this and how do i get rid of it?
    starts out yellowish green and gets rusty till it gets dark red. The dark red parts are starting to look like thin hair. On the powerhead it is green and purpleish red with bubbles on it. The rock looks dusted with green red and some white hairs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

looks like cyanobacteria...

4. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

check your nitrates and phosphates and get some Cheato Micro-algae in your refugium. It will close it out. if it is cyano which it looks like...How long has your tank been up. Check your parameters and post them here it will get you some better help alot quicker...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  5. xdhendrix

xdhendrix Plankton

thanks for the info i dont have refugium yet, thinkin about the cpr hob, you think the small size will work for a 46gallon or should i go with the medium?
    I dont have a sump other wise i would just make it in the sump

6. xdhendrix

xdhendrix Plankton

also i have a penguin 200 with a bio wheel and a filter without carbon and one with should i remove this filter when i get a refugium?
    or even remove it now cause i heard the biowheel can keep nitrates in the tank

7. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Looks like cyano. How young is the tank?

That mandarin won't fare too well without a fuge. Our you trying to target feed it anything? Those guys need pods and other small crustaceans that can only really come from an established aquarium, lots of rock, and a fuge helps alot.

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Always run carbon and use cheato for the nitrates you can put it in the main tank at the back behind some rock it wont over run your tank if it gets big just trim it or pull some...

10. xdhendrix

xdhendrix Plankton

yeah the mandarin will eat brine and mysis straight out of a baster i make sure he eats everyday. the tanks been set up about 7 months.

11. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

ad some more flow to the areas the cyano is building up and it should help...also suck out as much of it as you can when you do your water changes on top off using RO/DI water for top offs and water changes.