What is your favorite type of ACROPORA coral on liveaquaria.com??????

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by aquariaman, Jul 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

I will be making a order on liveaquaria soon and i would like to know your favorite type of acropora coral?? I dont know too much about these and have never tried one. They are really pretty though and i thought i would try one!! If you can, give me a link? Thanks

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Acros can very so much, I would suggest if your going to purchase through liveaquaria, go through the divers den section. You get to see it then. Also it has the specific info for the species of the picture so it helps.

4. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Well it also depends on the hardeness. Do you have the requirments as far as water conditions and lighting to keep any type of acro? If so you will have a wider selection, if not or if you are fairly new then you may want to start off with a Acro in the moderate category or an acro that was aquacultured such as The ORA Acros. I personally like the Hawkins Blue Echinata ORA. A Staghorn Coral maybe..

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I don't mean to ruin your party, but you need to make sure you can sustain an acropora with your water parameters and light, as banthonyb71 suggested. Acroporas can be very hard to take care of.

What are your water parameters as far as Nitrate, magnesium, calcium and alkalinity?
    Also, what type of light are you using?

Check this Coral out. It's moderate in its care level and I think it looks good:
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+1464+2962&pcatid=2962

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Assuming your tank is ready (and you're ready) I really like the DFS Aquacultured Ultra Blue Tenuis. It's extremely blue and tenuis' are usually relatively hardy and don't usually require extremely high light.

For your first SPS you might consider a birdsnest, seriatopora species, though. They are usually extremely forgiving and don't require huge amounts of light either. They grow pretty fast most of the time and still branch out and look cool like acros.

I definitely second the previous responses though about making sure you and your tank/equipment are ready and understand what is necessary to keep SPS alive.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

i would also look into frags instead of colonies. It your system is not completely stable frags often forgive where colonies RTN

8. Click Here!

9. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

I am completly ready!! I have 500 watt MH and perfect water conditions. I have been running the system for 3 years and i want something that i can frag and sell. I will be buying a frag tank soon so i hope to be doing some fraging. I am thinking about getting a "large pink birdnest". Screwtape said it grows really fast and its very hardy. It will branch out very fast and be easy to frag. What is your opinion on that???