What is your favorite coral?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by GoToSleep, Oct 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I love my GSP though.. As long as it's on it's own rock where it can be controlled it's all good.

2. Click Here!

3. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Thanks for the tips on things to avoid. That's probably even more important information for me to consider.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already but do you plan on having a quarantine tank for new corals? If not, you should definitely set one up. Roger and I learned the hard way about coral parasites and nuisance algaes by losing thousands of dollars worth of sps corals.

5. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

I guess that I really should do that. I suppose That means more powerful lights, filtration, and water flow for to the QT tank. Do you think that I should QT my initial wave of coral acquisitions?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Abso-freakin-lutely :)

You don't have to go too crazy with a q-tank for corals. A small tank will suffice unless you plan on making huge (quantity and size) coral purchases. Some T-5 lighting, heater, hang on filter and a powerhead or two is all you should really need.

7. bama

bama Humpback Whale

my branching acro.. beautiful..

8. Click Here!

9. wkbrdr1661

wkbrdr1661 Purple Spiny Lobster

I heard you could just do a dip (iodide i think>?) for corals to kill the vast majority of parasites. Is this true or incorrect?

The QT tank cant be plumbed into the system or it would still get in, right? Just saying that becasue i think GTS's fish QT tank is plumbed in and wanted to make sure it didnt matter...

10. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

I'm interested in the dip question as well.

I have a small tank (20 or 25 gal tall) that I can fill from the main system but it drains to outside and doesn't share any plumbing with the main system. The bad news is I don't currnetly have lights or filtration for it. I will have to go our the the garage and see if any of my old powerheads or heaters still work.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

While dips can and do kill most parasites, they do not kill their eggs. It also does not kill nuisance algaes like bryopsis. Plumbing a quarantine tank into a main system defeats the purpose of the quarantine tank :)

12. wkbrdr1661

wkbrdr1661 Purple Spiny Lobster

Well thats easy then... do the dip and just pick the eggs off by hand

8) jk obviously